Monday, June 06, 2016

Cockadoodle-doo!

We've come to the conclusion that our chicken coop houses eleven hens and one handsome rooster. I've been calling him Bubba. It's Bubba and the Biddies. He hasn't started crowing yet, but he is sprouting some pretty tail feathers and I am enjoying the process.

I have to admit, although I thought having chickens sounded like fun, I didn't expect them all to come running when I rounded the corner to feed and water them, or that I would stand outside the coop and watch as they ate or performed crazy chicken antics. Who knew I would turn into a crazy chicken lady so easily?


Our kitchen is progressing rather nicely. The counter tops arrived today and are beautiful. The Cabinet Maker is presently busy hooking up the plumbing. Before you know it there will be more cabinets in place, a working dishwasher (fancy that!), the walls will be painted, and we'll have a finished floor. Little by little, bit by bit, it's coming together. Kitchens are a process.

I haven't attempted to put much of anything away yet. Kind of figured it was a losing battle if I didn't wait for the rest of the cabinetry. The hanging lights, which don't match in the photo, now do, and the present table will eventually be replaced by a counter height table/work surface.

When we first began I wasn't sure what I wanted to do or what colors I wanted, so I had some help with some of those things. Now I am having fun discovering ways to organize and decorate, and I'm finding myself perusing the aisles of Goodwill in search of blue and white dishes... And what do you know? I'd already been collecting them even before we started. I've found several pretty blue and white planters and dishes already gracing the house.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice!!

    Chickens and roosters sound like very interesting creatures. Funny how they come running when they see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and then they run away when I reach out for them. Kind of like Sofie. ha ha!

      Delete
  2. Chickens!!!!! hahaha!
    Kitchen is looking great, MArtha!
    Kudos to the cabinet maker!
    Enjoy your day..
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you are delighting in your chickens! Ha, I am just laughing at your story about Valerie and the shovel. I know it's not funny, but you are a born story teller. These days if that happened, they would arrest poor Valerie, or at least have her in counseling, with perhaps some medication. There would at least be, "an investigation". I am very sorry though, for the poor small child who had to go through that, it makes me glad for the plastic variety of shovels, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The small child survived, but I'm not sure what ever happened to Valerie. And I can't remember her last name.
      :0)

      Delete
  4. I also am loving your new kitchen! The cabinets are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. (At first I thought you were talking about the rooster... ha ha... but them my brain kicked into gear.)
      :0)

      Delete