Sunday, June 05, 2016

The Barn Collective

Youth and beauty, age and grace.

This old barn stands along Rt. 96 in Romulous, NY, not too far from the old Seneca Army Depot. It was the birds roosting on the edge of the roof that really caught my attention. Of course, they didn't stick around long when I pointed my camera out the window at them. The birds flew off and then something else caught my eye instead.

 I imagine this old barn was beautiful in its youth, straight and solid sides, a fresh coat of paint, and a belly full of good things. Time has taken much and left its mark, but beneath what looks sad is a grace that only time can give, wood grayed and darkened, deep, weathered furrows, and an interior echoing with the silent sound of yesteryear. Aged barn boards take decades to achieve their final beauty. They've faced scorching heat and freezing cold, weathered winds, rain, and storms. Why should it be any different with us?

Aching bones, sore joints, and bad backs. Apparently barns have them too, along with missing teeth and thinning hair. The westerly side of this old building stood up to driving winds which have left her with a swivel to her back side. The swerve reaches from top to bottom and yet she stands. Still beautiful, and now unique. A timeless treasure if only someone will stop to notice.

I can't say I'm looking forward to grooves and wrinkles, gray hair, and missing teeth. I'm already not sure about the aches and pains that sometimes plague my joints, but I do suppose that time is working in me something that couldn't be achieved without a bit of stress, strain, and discomfort. I'm not quite the same person I was 30 years ago, but in all actuality, it's a good thing. I just hope when all is said and done a bit of beauty shows up beneath the weathering. We really can't ask for much more than that, can we?

Join us for more of The Barn Collective at Tom's.



10 comments:

  1. Lovely barn and beautiful narrative. Thank you. I am glad someone can see beneath the sorrow and see the beauty.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Perhaps it was my father's love of barn boards (he paneled the living room with them) that makes me love them too.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. I'm not the best looking guy, but I may look a tad better than this old barn. You all age at our own rate. Thanks Martha for sharing and I hope that you return soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I would like to stay young, but not quite at the expense of leaving this world that way. I may not want to see wrinkles and gray hair when I look in the mirror, but I found those things absolutely beautiful on my parents' elderly relatives. I'm trying to keep that in mind as I travel along. (Sakes! I almost commented as Josiah again.)

      Delete
  3. Perfect barn for your thoughts.
    Having weathered a few westerly winds myself, your description fits me to the tee except for the missing teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have my teeth too, Gayle, and so far the Granny Hairs don't show, but I'm pretty sure they aren't too far off, especially if time keeps traveling this fast.
      :0)

      Delete
  4. Love your comparison of the aging body - mine in particular - to the old barn in your pictures. It is so cool. It was really a nice one in its day. Thanks for your visit and your kind words. genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once read another blog on aged wood, it's beauty, and the fact that it doesn't happen without time, many years of time. And I agree. New barns, and people, are beautiful too, but there is a rare beauty in one that is old.

      Delete
  5. Ageing gracefully is the best we can hope for.

    ReplyDelete