Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Work Stories

My friend was very quiet yesterday morning and throughout most of her nap. I've been around long enough to know that could mean trouble. She was "yanked" from her bed fairly early (3:30 pm instead of closer to 4 or 4:30 pm) and plopped into her chair. When she requested the latrine, I took her up the hall to find a CNA to help. (Though I possess a CNA of my own, I remain in a "hands-off" position.)

By the time the aides arrived to render assistance, my friend had forgotten all about the urge to go and insisted she had no need. Of course, all that changed in the middle of supper, at which time she turned a rather abrupt corner and became incorrigible. Have you ever been to a nursing home where one or two residents call for help loudly and repeatedly? These are the dear folk who can't be charmed or coerced into compliance no matter which tactic is employed. (I personally think many of them are spoiled rotten, but then again, who am I? Maybe one day I'll be just like them...)

I finally gave up on getting the rest her supper into my friend and carted her off to her room so the remaining residents could eat in peace. The nurse assured me "help" would come. (ha ha! I know better.) On our way into my friend's room I accidentally bumped the door casing whereupon she stated, "You almost knocked me off my pedestal." I considered how appropriate her words were, but dared not utter my thoughts. Frustrating as she can be when she gets in a snit (and then asks me why I'm being nasty after I've answered calmly and politely), she is also mildly amusing.

Today at lunch a conversation was being had when my friend interjected a comment of her own. "Sometimes the older you get the younger you get." Again, she was right on target. We spend our entire lives learning and trying to be mature, only to grow old and turn back into children.

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes they are funny.......without meaning to be. We volunteer at a residence and this one old dear was missing her gearing aids a couple of weeks. So this is her in the LOUDEST voice. "KEEP THIS UNDER YOU HAT BUT I TOOK THEM OUT AND SET THEM ON THE TABLE AND WHEN I WENT TO GET THEM MARY HAD THEM IN HER MOUTH AND WAS CHEWING THEM. NOW THEY ARE WRECKED!!!!!!" Brahahahaha :-) We did not laugh at the time.....it was hard not to.....but have had some chuckles at home. She said all of this so loud they probably heard her on the other side, but we had to keep in under our hat. She is a sweet old lady too. Loves our big black lab that we take in to visit. They all love him.

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny. When we spent more time in the common areas, I had a better chance to hear what the other residents were saying as well as my friend. People, all of us, say funny things, you just have to be paying attention to notice. I especially love the funny things little children say. Old people are next on my list. (Although the children in the other room are not sounding too amusing at the moment.)

      Delete
    2. My daughter teaches kindergarten and grade 1 and often tells me funny things the kids say. Hilarious....their parents would curl up their toes at some of the things. No family secrets at this age. They tell all !!!!!

      Delete
  2. It's great how you can find the humorous side to what could just be frustrating! I sometimes wonder what embarrassing things I'll say or do when I'm older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometime humor is the only way to survive.
      :0)

      Delete