Thursday, May 23, 2013

Left Speechless

Sometimes I am left speechless... almost. When I feel at a loss for words, sometimes I am able to write instead. Here I am trying it out.

My oldest son called from Minnesota this evening. We made small talk for a minute and then he asked to talk to his grandma. He said he realized he hadn't talked to her since the wedding, and thought it would be a good idea to call her. I turned the phone to speaker (so she can hear) and told her it was Jimmy.

"Jimmy..." she repeated as though she was confused.

Jim said hello on the other end while his grandma continued to search her memory banks for who was on the other end of the phone. "It's your grandson, " he said.

"My grandson... " she answered, still unsure. "Who are your parents?" she asked him.

My heart sank, but the voice on the other end of the line remained steady. I wondered what he was thinking as he struggled to hold a conversation with the woman he shared a home with from the time he graduated from college in 2004 until he moved to Minnesota five and half years ago. She finally got it, and then went to extremes to let him know she understood who he was and how much she loves him. And then, she rather abruptly ended the conversation by saying she didn't want to run up his phone bill. He said it was okay, but she was intent on saying goodbye, told him it was nice talking, and ended the call.

I am left reeling once again.

On a bright note, my Aunt Margie came to visit today. Mom, so far, always knows who she is and is always glad for the visit.

PS. Don't miss my original post for today. It's about my grandchildren who came to visit for a few hours.

10 comments:

  1. Ugh. I'm sorry. That must have been horrible to listen to. I'm glad she remembered Aunt Margie, though.

    Look at you..two posts in one day...haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was somewhat unexpected, but then isn't that what the blog is for? Ugh is a pretty good explanation.

      Delete
  2. This made me cry. I couldn't even read it out loud to my family without breaking into tears. I miss my mom. I miss her so much. I really hate this. :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Rachie. This is hard. It's hard for all of us. I miss my mom every day and all the while she's living in my house. Don't cry. I love you.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Mitzi.
      Hoping you and G are having better days and that his knee is better soon.

      Delete
  4. I have no words of wisdom for you, only my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, Joeks, that only prayers will help. I need to be more patient and loving with this woman, my mother, who has become very much and often a stranger.

      Delete
  5. I am so sad about this too! I miss her very much!

    ReplyDelete