Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thoughts on Caregiving...

- Caregivers aren't perfect. We fail on a regular and daily basis.
- It is fairly easy to be patient for several hours, or even a few day, but even the saintliest of caregivers have bad days.
- Caregivers already know when we've failed. We don't need you or anyone else to call on the phone or send a note  "laying us out in lavender."
- Primary caregivers don't go home and leave the care to someone else (like a nursing home). We are responsible 24/7.
- We live with constant guilt; guilt at needing time off, guilt at words misspoken, guilt at eyes rolled, and guilt at not always providing care with a smile and a bright attitude.
- Caregivers often hold the title of Power of Attorney and Health Care Proxy as well as Caregiver.
- Caregivers are required to learn a myriad of new skills. We have to deal with things like eyeglasses, hearing aides, false teeth, blood sugar tests, dietary restrictions, medications, oxygen machines, wheelchairs and walkers, monthly blood draws, and toileting or bathing issues.
- Caregivers get frazzled. It's a mind thing. The mind is never at rest when someone is either home alone, needing a meal, or sitting alone in their room doing word search puzzles for hour on end.
-Caregivers need to vent, especially when dealing with dementia and memory issues. We deeply love those we care for, but are often left trying to figure out just who this stranger that used to be Mom is. It is difficult to wrap our minds around the confusion, forgetfulness, and repeated questions. We're trying to be patient, but it's just plain hard.
- It's nice to have people stop, acknowledge, and say hello to our loved ones when we are out (like to church), but please remember that caregivers also need a hello and word of encouragement. It can make our day a whole lot brighter if you also smile at us, give a hug, or ask, "How are you doing?"
- Caregivers often feel as though they have no choice but to be the caregiver. We have been dealt this hand and must now play it out.
- Caregivers need time off, but we will most likely not want to ask for your help, unless we are desperate. If we get to the point of saying "I need...", it's because we do. Please don't make us feel more guilty for admitting to it, and please don't feel bad for our loved one if we choose respite for a week or two. They'll be okay.
- Perhaps one of the hardest things for a caregiver, is the guilt of looking toward the day when the job is done.It's a horrible feeling.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I love you too, Beth. It wasn't a bad day today. I've just been thinking.

      Delete
  2. I know it's not easy, and I love you too. I'll be there for her tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we (mom and I) could sit down, have a cup of tea, and talk. If only she could remember things and follow conversations. If only I didn't feel like I was neglecting her as she sits in her room with her word search book hour after hour... I would so much rather live with her than around her.

      Delete
  3. Nobody should criticize unless they have walked in your shoes. And if they aren't willing to even try them on for a day, then shame on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sisters are willing to help, and I am more than grateful for them, but I think most of us, me included, have a hard time really knowing (or even stopping to think about) what others deal with each and every day.

      All the little poems and stories are nice, and ideally that is how we all want life to be. I do too, but instead I find myself often painfully raw emotionally. I only want others to know that caregivers get tired, whether that caregiver is me, or you, or someone in church or the line at grocery store. A little word of encouragement or act of kindness can go a very long way.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree. And I can relate somewhat...a little encouragement goes a long, long way. Sometimes you don't want help, just a hug and an acknowledgement!

      Delete
    3. your scary bubbles disappeared as I was reading it! Now THAT was scary. lol....

      Delete
    4. I reverted to a draft. Sorry. :)

      Delete
  4. Yep, let's all go to Walmart and peel onions!
    love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not crying today. (That was Sunday, but I recovered...) It got me thinking about how much I am (or am not) an encouragement to others, especially those I come face to face with on a regular basis.

      Delete
  5. My mother died of brain cancer in 2001 after her diagnosis just two and one half months prior. I lived with her in her apartment in NC while she received radiation treatments, then took her home with me to Georgia for her final 7 weeks. The hardest part was when she stopped communicating...and the death rattle that emanated from her during her last 24 hours. The volume fairly shook the house frightening me.

    I still feel some sense of guilt in believing that I should have done a better job caring for her as she laid slowly dying a little each day. After she went to be with Jesus, I grilled myself with questions: "Why didn't I think to do this or that?"

    My siblings assured me that I did a great job, but I felt I'd fallen short.

    Guilt always seems to be present at some level when dealing with caregiving. We always feel some sense of guilt in not being enough or not having been enough for them. I think guilt goes with the territory.

    Martha, you are there and you are willing to care for your Mom and that is enough. I will be praying that God helps you get your balance and helps you find freedom from guilt. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went through something like that with my dad for a very short time as we took turns staying at the house during his last few weeks. I was never really sure if I was helping or intruding.

      The death rattle is unnerving. Thankfully Dad's didn't last long and we knew where he was headed.

      I think Mom could be with us for a very long time, but then again one never really knows. She has health issues that could one day take her very quickly. I'm finding it hard to enjoy the time with her and that is what is the hardest. When it's all said and done with I be relieved or devastated?

      Delete
  6. A very insightful piece. Caregiver s have their unique challenges not often by others.

    Thanks for bringing this to the fore

    Thanks!

    Best Wishes, from Scooters 'N Chairs

    ReplyDelete