Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Q is for Quiver

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So [are] the children of one's youth. Happy [is] the man who has his quiver full of them; They shall not be ashamed, But shall speak with their enemies in the gate.
Psalm 127:4-5

Q is for quiver. A quiver is a container for arrows, bolts, or darts (or to shake or move with a slight trembling motion).

My husband and I had what you might call "a quiverful" of children, just seven (see my blog address...) We both endured and enjoyed many years of little people running, screaming, laughing, terrorizing, and making our house and lives full of action and activity. I wouldn't trade it for anything, but there were days I honestly wanted to put them all in the deep freeze so I could get a few days rest. (I guess you could say I quivered at my quiverful...)

I've heard it said that different folks have quivers of different sizes. That makes sense to me. I have friends with far more children than us, and obviously, have plenty of friends with far fewer. I even have friends who have no children of their own, yet make a profound impact on the children of others. I think it must take a pretty special person to invest so much time solely in the lives of other people's children and to love them as though they were their own.


For more ABC Wednesday posts, click here.

6 comments:

  1. You are so clever with words. I always look forward to what you come up with.

    I only had a few quivers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am often stumped as to what I can write about. Then I turn to a list of words that start with that particular letter, or in the case of Q, at least contain it. I found it amusing that "quiver" has two meanings that I could connect with having children. :)

      Delete
  2. Martha, this was a clever response to the letter "Q." My quiver held but one, and she is the subject of my poem, which you may or may not like!!

    Bringing up one child has challenges as well, and I wish I had been able to pop at least one more for the sheer companionship! Kids from large families learn early the benefits of cooperation and sharing... blessings on your brood! Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Companionship can be both a blessing and a curse. Single children have advantages also, and friends always make the world a better place.

      Delete
  3. Seems my QUIVER has just the one, and at my age, is unlikely to change.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only my grandchild quiver that continues to grow. I may need two or three quivers to hold them all!

      Delete