Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Gardener

We've been working on our garden. With Hannah's help, we built raised beds and the plants are finally finding their way into the soil. Tonight James and I set out pepper plants, a whole bunch of them. We like peppers. I called him Mr. McGregor, but I think perhaps "Peter Piper" might be more fitting even if we don't plan on pickling any peppers.

Our garden is over-sized this year, not just the two "square-foot" gardens that have kept me happy the past few years. Gardening always brings back memories of Dad and his weedless backyard garden. After working a long day, he would come home and "unwind" by working in the garden where his little girls helped him plant seeds and set vegetable plants, and eventually collect the harvest.

I fear I'm not quite the gardener that my father was, and I'm probably not the gardener that my husband can be either. James has much gentler hands when it comes to tender plants. I am anxious to see what kind of garden this will turn out to be, and envision many summer evenings spent there. I think we're going to have some mighty fine meals in a couple of months.


10 comments:

  1. I'll never forget searching for tomato worms with Dad, and him pulling them off the plants and stepping on them. Squish! :P Katy eating the green beans right off the plants, picking corn, beets and beet greens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad made gardening fun, and he made it look easy even if it is a lot of work. I was petrified of tomato plants for years, just for the remote possibility that there might be a tomato worm in there somewhere.

      Delete
  2. It all looks very professional to me! I haven't even given the garden a thought yet! Although my strawberries are in bloom. I need to get some tomato plants this week! We like peppers, too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does make it look good, doesn't he? He's pretty awesome that way. :)

      My strawberries are blooming too. I can scarcely wait til June!

      Delete
  3. We don't have a very big yard and we have 2 big dogs so a garden just wouldn't work.But we plant containers with some zucchini and little squash things that look like hats - very delicious. we also put in beans - yellow and green, tomatoes and my husband plants potatoes in sacks. I plant all sorts of herbs in pots too. We have a cherry tomato plant in a hanging basket on the fence and last year I literally got hundreds of little tomatoes. Along with the veggies we also have hanging baskets and planters and pots with flowers.

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been considering potatoes. I have my tiny tomatoes up close to the house so I can run out and grab a few whenever I want some. I could garden in a small area. I think it might even be fun.

      Delete
  4. Nice fancy schmancy summer time to do list!!!
    Better check off "plant a garden"!!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not done yet. :P
      I sure am tired tonight!

      Delete
  5. It all sounds wonderful You have more of a green thumb than I do. I have always wanted a garden...but I honestly have no energy for it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a really hard time mustering up the energy for anything but a nap lately.

      If all goes well with the garden, we'll have an abundance. I'm sure we can share.

      Delete