Saturday, February 02, 2013

At the Controls

Take My Life and Let It Be
Frances R. Havergal, 1874

Take my life and let it be Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my hands and let them move At the impulse of Thy love.

Take my feet and let them be Swift and beautiful for Thee;
Take my voice and let me sing,Always, only for my King.

Take my lips and let them be Filled with messages from Thee;
Take my silver and my gold,Not a mite would I withhold.

Take my moments and my days,Let them flow in endless praise;
Take my intellect and use Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.

Take my will and make it Thine,It shall be no longer mine;
Take my heart, it is Thine own,It shall be Thy royal throne.

Take my love, my Lord, I pour At Thy feet its treasure store;
Take myself and I will be Ever, only, all for Thee.

I've posted this song before, ...twice before, but I'm not there yet. As much as I want this to be the song of my heart, my flesh still longs to have control. Instead of being totally willing to give everything to Jesus, I am more like the rich, young ruler who walked away sorrowful. It is a sobering thought. Perhaps that is why the song writer penned the words, "Take my will and make it Thine..." It's a common struggle, this war against the flesh. Even the Apostle Paul struggled and that is why he wrote, "For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice" (Romans 7:19) and "O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death" (Romans 7:24)

Whether it's taking care of small children or caring for my mom, deep inside I know there is a task more important, a calling much higher, and a priority greater than most of the trivial tasks I think I'd like to pursue. Maybe one day it will be easier to let it all go.

4 comments:

  1. The old hymns are so full of theology and doctrin to live by....Why is it so wonderful to sing...and so hard to live. With you Martha.. on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanda, I can always count on you to understand. Thank you so much for being there.

      Delete
  2. also reminds me of the lyrics "prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love..."

    yes, easy to sing...hard to live!

    ReplyDelete