Sunday, February 17, 2013

I Forgot the Camera


We drove south today, south to attend a memorial service. The route to the church took us down Route 96A past the Seneca Army Depot. The former Army Depot, which is surrounded by a large chain link fence, is home to the largest herd of white deer in the world. I was driving, so keeping my eyes on the road was more imperative than looking for white deer. I mentioned to James and Hannah the possibility of seeing some and Hannah, who doesn't always appear interested in things of this nature, suddenly said, "I saw one!" James said he saw several too, but not me. It isn't that I didn't look, I just wasn't quite so lucky. The deer I saw were all the regular brown colored variety, which on any other day, and in another place, would be exciting. (The photo is quite obviously "borrowed".)

4 comments:

  1. I have never seen a white deer! My goodness...I'm not sure I knew there was such a thin! ha. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go back and take another look someday when it gets warm out.

      Delete
  2. Like Betsy...never heard or saw one. Are they just white naturally or albino?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are "a recessive form of white-tailed deer". They are not albino as they have brown eyes. Honestly, I think most people around here have no idea they exist.

      Check out the link I made to them.

      Delete