Monday, February 25, 2013

Unwound

I am unwound, and this is oh-so-much better than being undone. My house feels more relaxed and I think, if I should really find the right balance between work and alone time, I might actually be able to keep up without feeling as though I am losing my marbles. Today I did a lot of nothing, which included a cup of coffee and a short visit from my sister Priscilla, a couple loads of laundry, and a small amount of housework. I am breathing easier.

 The photo sign, of course, has nothing, and everything, to do with the past couple of weeks, but I won't bother to go into any deep explanations. (I'm not sure I could explain anyway...) It did however make me think of my daughter Bethany, who as a child and along with a friend, often transformed into herself a unicorn. And that made me smile when I saw it.

In other news, I have accomplished a feat of gigantic proportions. I read Charles Dickens' "Oliver Twist"! I am planning to read "Pride and Prejudice" next, and then I'm going to watch the movie all over again.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Martha....you sound so much better...:o)
    Did you just LOVE Oliver Twist???
    The old movie...from the early '5o's is AWESOME...
    Hope you enjoy the movie...as well as the book...I think we are kindred spirits...living totally seperate lives....but of one mind...
    Glad to have found you....really!!!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling so much better! I hate when I fall into a funk, but I think I am learning some valuable lessons along the way.

      It's been many years since my grade 10 English class and the last time I actually read Oliver Twist. Always a favorite story in one way or another, though I don't care much for the Disney movie. I'll have to look for the 50's version of the movie. Maybe this weekend. :)

      I'm glad you found me too!

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, undone and unwound are not the same thing! haha! I'm glad you're feeling better.

    I hope you will guard your alone time. When you fall back into the craziness you will know..but it creeps upon you slowly and you don't realize you're in a desperate place until it's too late. Having said that, life happens and sometimes no matter how hard you try, you can't change the reality of too many stressful weeks in a row. ha. But knowing what you need to feel better really helps.

    Enjoy reading those old classics. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Just say no." Now if only I can remember that.

      Yes, life happens, and one can never count on anyone else to bail them out no matter how drastic the situation feels. It's a porcupine world out there. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love classics, but Dickens is not my favourite. I have read Oliver Twist though. I think BBC did a version of it in recent years.

    P & P on the other hand. I absolutely love this book, and the BBC 6 part series. She is not my absolute Austen character - for that you will have to read Mansfield Park. However, it's probably my favourite of her books. Definitely my favourite of the tv series/movies.

    Elizabeth Gaskell is also very good - Wives and Daughters, North and South, Cranford, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I am hoping, in the near future, to pick up on reading again as I have not really read anything on a regular basis for years and years. It can be a beautiful escape. :)

      Delete
  4. If you read Pride & Prejudice you may not be able to blog because once you're hooked you can't put it down!

    ReplyDelete