Saturday, February 16, 2013

Week's End

The week is finally over. It was a busy, stress filled time, but as usual, there were moments that made me smile. There was the day when my little granddaughter walked into the house with a big smile on her face, waved at Rocky, and said, "Hi!" I can't help but think what a beautiful little girl she is. I only wish we could spend more time together. On the bright side, Hannah was blessed to spend a few hours with her niece and nephews. She came home smiling and that blessed me. Bethany came with my other grandsons late Friday morning and I had some time to snuggle that baby of hers. I soaked up every moment possible and even changed his diaper for the first time. Can you believe he's five months old already?

Yesterday I also started Mom's eye-drop regimen in preparation for her upcoming cataract surgery; two drops three times a day until the surgery, and then three drops three times a day afterward. I thought it would be pretty simple, after all I did this fifteen years ago with a ten year old, but I find it much more difficult (and frustrating) with my mother. Not only is it physically impossible for her to tip her head back all the way, but she can't seem to keep her eye open either. I pull the bottom lid down and she closes the top one. I pull the top lid up and she scrunches up the bottom one. And she blinks, blinks, blinks. I've threatened to lay her on the floor and straddle her like she did to me when I was a little girl, but I don't really think that would be acceptable. (Insert winky face here.) The surgery is scheduled for Monday afternoon. Hopefully the surgeon can keep her eye open long enough to do the job.

Finally, please keep my sweet mom in law in your prayers as she recovers from surgery for uterine cancer. Her operation was yesterday. All is as the doctors had hoped and the future looks bright. I'm looking forward to seeing her smiling face on Skype again in the very near future.

9 comments:

  1. Oh he's so cute...and so reminds me of our Mky. He had blue eyes and a cute bald head... I thought that boy would never get hair...but he did.

    So glad to hear the surgery went well. When Bethany was here...we skyped Grandma. That was fun to visit with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Bethany would never grow hair, but after 3 years she actually started to look like a girl. :)

      Delete
  2. I read the part about Mom and her eye drops out loud to Dave and we both laughed out loud. I can just picture it. It sounds funny the way you wrote it, but I'm sure it'd frustrating. Wish I could help, but maybe I can for the other eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds funnier than it was, Rachel, but if I don;t learn to laugh I will go bald from tearing my hair out.

      Delete
  3. I'll keep her surgery in prayer, Martha.
    I expect that the improvement in her vision will be such a gift to her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping, Stacy, hoping I don't live to regret it. ;)

      Delete
  4. He is a real cutie, Martha...
    When you write about your Mom...you are hilarious..you certainly have a GREAT sense of humour!!! Good luck with that ordeal!!!
    hope you MIL heals well...

    Enjoy the rest of your Sunday...

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I only wish it was as funny in real life. Thankfully we have a recliner that seems to help in positioning her, although she isn't heavy enough or determined enough to keep it leaning back herself. By the time the next two months is over I will have either sprouted a halo or grown something else...

      Delete