Wednesday, February 20, 2013

F is for Friends

F is for friends. I've already made "friends" my ABC Wednesday word twice; "Faraway Friends" and "Feathered Friends". Today I give you "Facebook Friends".

Monday was President's Day. I got a little confused and thought it was George Washington's birthday, but that's not until Friday. Anyway, I pulled out an old photo taken from my parent's slide collection and posted it on Facebook with the caption, "Happy Birthday, George." The picture is probably forty-five years old, taken before a local Kiddie Parade, of a neighborhood child dressed up as George Washington. "How fun would it be , I thought, "to send him a link to my photograph?" so I looked to see if he had an account and found he did. (Since we had a friend in common, I knew he could see the photo.)

That same afternoon I received a reply. "Martha, do we know each other? And do I know this young man in the picture (he looks pretty familiar!)?"

I found myself smiling as I wrote back telling him who I was and where the picture came from. "I hope you know that young man," I said, "It's you."

Later that same evening I found a longer note that left a bigger smile on my face, a note with memories of not only my brother (they had been friends), but memories of my parents as well; my mother's uncanny way of befriending neighborhood children, my father's music, and Bible stories read at the dinner table. His note has left me thinking and trying to recall the person my mother once was.

Nostalgia has a way of catching up with us once we hit middle age, and such was the case with my new friend this week. I wonder what other treasures I might find in that old box of slides?

 For more ABC Wednesday, click here.

14 comments:

  1. That's great! :)
    I remember what Mom used to be like too... :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love those trips down memory lane and also all the friends I have made through my blog and reuniting with people on FaceBook.
    So glad you were able to make contact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what fun. He must have been jolted back into time with that picture.

    Love this perfect post for Letter "F"

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post for 'F'!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the holiday IS confusing. The third Monday in February, by FEDERAL law, is Washington's Birthday. He was born on FEB 22 on the current calendar, but FEB 11 on the calendar that existed when he was born.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all makes perfect sense now, Roger. ... I think.

      Delete
  6. That must have been some surprise to him!!! How fun is that pic. I'm totally confused on the whole Presidents Day!
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picture.. I had almost no friends in high school but now are friends with about 15 from

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woops... From my highschool class. Amazing how we conect on fb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun way to catch up with an old friend. It's nice sometimes to have someone from our past help us remember and think about loved ones (and ourselves!) from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a nice use for Facebook if I do say so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, I'm hoping to hear some news of Ducky Dear very soon.

      Delete
  11. With the wedding coming up, I find myself more nostaglic than usual:-) Such a blessing to be filled with happy memories.

    ReplyDelete