Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Q is for Quarrel

Q is for quarrel. We've had enough of that for a while!

Two Little Kittens

by Anonymous (circa 1880)
 
Two little kittens, one stormy night,
Began to quarrel, and then to fight;
One had a mouse, the other had none,
And that's the way the quarrel begun.


"I'll have that mouse," sad the biggest cat;
"You'll have that mouse? We'll see about that!"
"I will have that mouse," said the eldest son;
"You shan't have the mouse," said the little one.


I told you before 'twas a stormy night
When these two little kittens began to fight;
The old woman seized her sweeping broom,
And swept the two kittens right out of the room.


The ground was covered with frost and snow,
And the two little kittens had nowhere to go;
So they laid them down on the mat at the door,
While the old woman finished sweeping the floor.


Then they crept in, as quiet as mice,
All wet with the snow, and cold as ice,
For they found it was better, that stormy night,
To lie down and sleep than to quarrel and fight.


 For more ABC Wednesday fun, click here.

9 comments:

  1. let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with CATS

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute and so true of all of us humans! lol

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Roger gets an A+ for his comment. Love the story...Need to read it to my little gransons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Dad reading that one to us. How he loved poetry. Many old children's poems make me think of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. This one came from a book Mom and Dad gave me as a little girl. This was one of my favorites in the collection. Poetry often makes me think of Dad too. :)

      Delete
  5. This was my favorite poem as a child. what was the name of the book that contained this poem? I remember these illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I have moved since posting this and although I have a book of poetry from childhood, it does not contain this poem. I will keep looking, It must be packed away in a box somewhere.

      Delete