Friday, November 09, 2012

Mom's Favorite Spot

My mother's favorite spot these days is her chair at her table in her room. If she has a Word Search book she will stay there for hours. She still reads her newspaper, but her main occupation involves circling words. She says it is a nice pastime.

It has now been over two years since she came to live with us. We've pretty much gotten used to each other. Episodes of wanting to scream, cry, or tear my hair out are fewer (I suppose that is a good thing), and she rarely tries to pick up after the kids anymore. Probably because she is busy doing Word Search puzzles.

I have given up on my mother ever gaining back the weight she has lost since Dad's passing, almost 30 pounds. She really isn't all that interested in eating. She eats her cereal around noon each day, takes a small snack midway through the afternoon, and then eats a small dinner. She rarely asks for seconds, but rarely turns down dessert. I wish she could gain the weight from one piece of pie that I seem to gain. I could fatten her back up in no time!


4 comments:

  1. sigh.
    Ensure Plus is what is keeping the Papa on his feet. 350 cal. per 8 oz. 13 gm. of protein. 4 times a day.
    sigh.
    kinda like buying formula for babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true Martha...
    I felt sad reading this post...
    But then happy, as she has you...and you have her..and you all have each other...
    My Father died when I was 21...My Mother when I was 50...never had to see them, the way you now see your Mom...
    Funny how life works, eh...
    Wonder how I will end up later in life...
    Perhaps my children will be looking after me...sigh...

    Didn't mean to be such a downer, Martha..
    Your heart is in the right place...

    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No downers taken, Linda. This is hard to watch and hard to wrap my mind around. It's taken a long time for me to come to grips with much of it. Deep inside I miss my mother already.

      Delete