Friday, August 03, 2012

Well, That Stinks!

Perhaps I should have titled this "Return of the Babysitter Test"...

The day started out alright. I took one child to VBS, and proceeded to clean my kitchen and wash the floor while the remaining child played toys. (Yes, I did remove yesterday's pretty little spider web.) A good floor scrubbing was long overdue and I feel better knowing this task has been accomplished, even if it doesn't last long. After VBS I fed four little ones lunch. Since there were three children playing toys in my living room, I decided to take Rocky upstairs for a nap. She was a little out of sorts and growled at me when I scolded her. I gave her a fresh diaper, turned the air conditioner to low, and left her howling. She eventually settled down and all was quiet. She typically takes a good nap and I knew she needed one today.

The remaining children continued to play and at about 2 pm, after much persistent asking, I filled a tub of water for them to cool off in. A little before three I went up to check on Sleeping Beauty and found her standing in the portacrib wide awake. I turned off the air conditioner which I thought smelled a bit funny and turned my attention to the child. As I lifted her from the crib, I realized the smell was not the contraption in the window, but the mess this sweet darling had left on my walls and all over the netting on the end of the bed.

I can't imagine the look that must have come over my face, but I'm sure it wasn't pretty, and I know my wall wasn't. Said child, now in tears, was put rather abruptly into the tub. Her hands were covered in ... well, ... stink. It was down her legs and she even had a chunk in her hair. Can I tell you I was not one bit happy? I really don't like poop at all and she had deliberately smeared it all over, and not just a little bit. She could have been at this for quite a while. I have never slept her upstairs before and I may never do it again.

Ah well... I am calm now, the crib is clean again (after being put into the bathtub, washed, and bleached), and little mess-maker even went home smiling. She was naked save a diaper, but smiling, and yes, I do still love her.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! She is a little "stinker" isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I have a nephew who made a regular habit of that little trick. Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blech! is right!!! You were in my thoughts today. I miss you already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd heard stories like this before I had kids and I seriously lived in fear of it for, oh, a decade. It has yet to transpire. But it is such a horrible idea it does keep me up at night.

    Maybe my kids won't get me, but a grandkid will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read that the cure is a cold shower for the child and most parents only had to do it twice.

    ReplyDelete