Wednesday, August 15, 2012

E is for Erie

E is for Erie.

I grew up near the southern shore of Lake Ontario, and my in-laws grew up close to the northern shore of Lake Erie. Different generations, different countries, different lakes. Every once in a while we hop in the car and make the trek to Buffalo and cross the Peace Bridge into Canada. Last year we made a series of stops at various beaches between Fort Erie and Crystal Beach.I think this was Windmill Point.

On a few occasions I have been lucky enough to be in Fort Erie, Ontario on an encampment weekend. Last year James and I had the privilege of watching an evening battle reenactment. (Of course, the Americans were the bad guys...) When asked whether he was Canadian or American, my husband would answer, "It all depends..." because, being born on American soil to Canadian parents, he has dual citizenship by birth. In this particular battle scene, the Americans held the fort.

This week Hannah and I are heading to Erie, Pennsylvania where we will visit the Erie Maritime Museum (< that is a link) on Lake Erie's southern shore. The Flagship Niagara will be in port for a couple of days and we're hoping to catch a glimpse of her. Maybe even go on board. We've got our very own tour guide!


For more ABC Wednesday fun, click here.

10 comments:

  1. I've only been up to Lake Erie once and it was so spectacular. You are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful area. I enjoy watching re-enactments, we have quite a few in the midwest--especially in the fall.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you get to enjoy the Lake as much as we do...
    Heading out there again this weekend...
    Hopefully NO rain!!!!
    Need to get some gardening done!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The peace bridge looks like a real challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Lake Erie from Cleveland!

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Calling by from ABC Wednesday, Lake Erie is yet another place I would love to visit if I ever have the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Martha Made it safely to Oregon and visiting Jill, It's amazingly beautiful, and this morning saw two mothers, and five baby fawns walking through her back yard a few feet away from her kitchen window....Her back yard is a forest.

    Would love to visit Lake Erie, someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for memories of my time in Canada. I had a mini reunion with my friends I made in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was 14 my family vacationed on a little island on Lake Erie. It was probably the most fun we've had on a vacation...pretty, quiet and restful. I don't think I've been back since and it's only 4 hours away (the lake,..not the island)

    Hope you have a fun time with Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh.My.Goodness!! That is TOO funny (to me) to imagine the Americans as the BAD GUYS. LOL. I love it.

    Of course, we were not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely and interesting choice for E week. A x

    ReplyDelete