Thursday, May 31, 2012

Random Bits and Pieces

Yesterday morning we were pleasantly surprised to find the stench of rotting deer carcass had subsided. Thinking it had something to do with a little rain and change of wind direction, I kept my western windows closed and ventured outside cautiously. Being a smell that hides in one's sinus cavities, I was nonetheless haunted throughout the day by thinking I smelled it.

Our lawn had become over- grown in the past week and so Ben skipped out on his normal Wednesday at the ambulance base and stayed home to cut grass. He spent the entire afternoon on the ride-on mower. With Hannah gone to horseback riding and the little one tucked in for a nap, I decided to start up the push mower and start on the area close to the house. Not so good when one is plagued by seasonal allergies, but it needed to be done.

A break in the heat wave, and a generous neighbor, convinced me to bake a rhubarb pie yesterday afternoon. I didn't actually eat any last night (pie goes right to my hips, and butt, and chin, and so forth...), but I was told it was very good. I had fun taking pictures of the delightful dish, and enjoyed the aroma wafting from my kitchen.



After my little friends had gone home for the evening, I went back out to finish mowing around the house. One of the orchard workers was across the street cutting the long grass. I fully expected him to mow around the stinky carcass, but someone must have moved it either earlier int he day or sometime in the dark of night. I am seriously considering sending someone a note of thanks. It truly was an answer to prayer. Yes, I actually prayed that God would make it go away. You can ask  the other women from my Tuesday morning prayer group.

7 comments:

  1. Your pie looks fantastic!! Mowing is a very silly thing for a girl with seasonal allergies!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no doubt that God can make deer carcasses go away. :)

    That pie is gorgeous! You have better will power than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, Betsy, my will power is still not what it needs to be. The cookies were my weakness this time. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to read the deer carcass doesn't seem to smell so bad at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The carcass is gone. One of the orchard guys must have hauled it away somehow. The grass is cut and it isn't there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rubarb pie is my alltime favorite, and had I been there, I could NOT have resisted...in fact yours looks so good, I probablu would have asked for a second piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I, Wanda, would have obliged. :)

    ReplyDelete