Sunday, May 27, 2012

Frozen Eggs

Two eggs huddled together in the back of the refrigerator neither one able to keep the other warm. Each was cracked, but not leaking, and there they sat all day and then overnight. Saturday morning their discovery prompted rescue. Knowing they were still fresh enough for breakfast, I decided on a meal of eggs.

I was somewhat surprised when the first egg slipped out of its shell and into the pan a gelatinous frozen ball. The second egg, a bit more reluctant to leave its protective coating behind, did not slide out its shell and into the pan beside its refrigerator-mate. I found myself instead peeling a frozen egg in much the same manner as I would one hard boiled.

Frozen eggs? Should I cook them? Should I toss them in the trash? I decided if it was okay to freeze chicken, it was probably okay to freeze their offspring. My frozen eggs slowly began to thaw out in the hot pan. I sprinkled them with salt and pepper.
I poked them with my little rubber spatula and scrambled them up into a tasty little breakfast. Don't they look nice?

10 comments:

  1. ha! who knew!? They look delish...we had scrambled eggs for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a strange woman

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU FRIED THEM IN BUTTER! now, that is going to make anything taste good.
    Paula Deen would be so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Beth. They fell off my box of berries and onto the back of the shelf where it was too cold. One
    even had ice on the outside.


    They cooked up right nice now, didn't they, Betsy?

    Well, Anon, you should know.

    Judi, butter is the way to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HaHa...I heard of frying eggs on a hot sidewalk...but never a frozen egg in a scillet...

    Martha the Marvel...That could be the name of your cooking show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, that is hilarious...
    I am sure I would have tossed them..
    Waste not...want not...

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wanda, frozen eggs were a new concept for me. Not sure I'm worthy of a cooking show...

    Linda, welcome! I seriously thought about tossing them, but the novelty of actually eating frozen eggs won out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so funny!! The day I read this post, I had the same thing...frozen eggs in my fridge. I decided to use them, too. Some in chocolate chip cookies and one in lasagna. No problems!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather, that is just too funny.

    ReplyDelete