Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

I did not go out to do my regular errands today, and so I did not pick up the token Mother's Day gift I had imagined. Such is the "Martha way". If I am ever slightly disappointed that my own children "forget", I can take comfort in knowing that they are all too much like their mother.

Last night Mom and I ate dinner alone (well, alone together, if there is such a thing). James and Ben had run out to the bank, and Hannah, home late from horseback riding, was upstairs in the shower). I filled Mom's plate and set it on the table along with her cup of milk, and suggested she say the blessing. She was happy to oblige, and I sneaked a photo while I was supposed to have my hands folded and eyes closed. I don't think she noticed, and I'm sure God knows my heart's intent. I really just wanted a picture of my mom praying.

I never imagined  years ago that my mom would actually end up living in my home... It was one of those things my sisters and I would occasionally discuss, each of us saying we would be more than willing to take her in, but never really believing  it would happen. It has been 18 months now since Mom came here to stay. The road had been rough in patches and I have had to learn how to maneuver the curves and potholes in new ways, but the "FAIL" sticker that so often graced my forehead those first twelve months no longer appears in the bathroom mirror. I've traversed enough territory to realize I'm not alone. I am not alone in failing, because I am not the only one who struggles, and I am not alone in success because in order to succeed, I need help. I need help from my friends and family, and I need help from my Father in heaven. Thankfully, I have both.

I pray my mom feels loved and appreciated on Mother's Day tomorrow. I think I can give her something that doesn't involve paper and pens, flowers or material gifts and I have an idea of something she may appreciate even more... (Of course I'm not telling!)

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!


6 comments:

  1. Your mom is one special lady...and she's blessed to have you in her life!! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!
    Love you,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is nice. And a picture of Grandma praying typifies her legacy. Always one to point to Jesus.

    You'll have to tell her Cheiko and Ida said hello. They were at Marilou's today and asked about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post. :) Happy mother's day to you and your mom. I hope at least some of your kids remember! Ha. Big hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post and picture. One of my treasured memories is Aunt Trula's prayers for the day. I really miss that.

    Happy Mother's Day to you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you still have her, you are doing well at the near impossible task of mothering the mother. hugs, judi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that picture. You are forgiven for snatching it, you know.

    I thought I was the only one that saw that sticker in the mirror. Mine usually says, "Loser," but "Fail," is rather similar... I'm glad yours has disappeared. Satan tries to get us to believe those, you know. They are not from Him, you know.

    ReplyDelete