Tuesday, May 03, 2011

P is for Pepper

P is for peppers.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked.
If Peter Piper...


I love peppers. A salad is hardly complete without sliced red or green bell peppers, and there is no better summertime sandwich than a fried green bell pepper sandwich on toast with cheese, sliced tomato, a piece of ham or turkey, a little bit of mayo, and maybe a leaf of lettuce. Mmm! Perfect!

And chile peppers too! I can scarcely believe that for my entire childhood I ate Chili con Carne without any chile peppers! What is chili without any chile?

I tried growing chile peppers in my garden. They were supposed to grow into nice, big, fat peppers, but instead they stayed miniature, only about as fat and long as my little finger. They were too small to roast on the grill and hotter than "you know what!" Good thing they were pretty.

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I totally agree, a salad just isn't a salad without red and green bell peppers...when the price is right, I also like the yellow and orange ones. Makes a salad smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your peppers are so pretty! I love peppers. They make a salad go from blah to fabulous : ) in .02 seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fried pepper sandwiches were Dad's favorite, I guess you must have some of his taste buds. ;) I don't care for fried pepper sandwiches, they're too bitter. I haven't tried one in several years, maybe I should try again. How about we make some together this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect Photo and item for the letter this week!

    Please come see the Paintings at my page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our dog loves green bell peppers. She also loves cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, rutabaga, zucchini and, of course, carrots, which have too much sugar in them to be much more than an occasional treat.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter picked perfect peppers!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Those pepper photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering after reading about the first sandwich you mentioned.
    A salad isn't complete without red and green peppers.
    Perfect P Post!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roasted peppers are an especially perfect food! Great tribute to the pepper!
    HelenMac,
    ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete