Tuesday, December 28, 2010

ABC Wednesday- Letter X

X is for Xerox, "The Document Company."

It might not sound very exciting to you, and truthfully, I am not all that thrilled, but Xerox does start with "X" and since it is a local company, it fits well into my ABC theme. In my search for information I came across the saying "unduplicated success" which I am sure is their own play on being the manufacturer of copy machines.

I set out this morning with camera in tow and, on my way to pick up milk, took a very short detour down Salt Rd. to get my own picture of the Xerox Webster campus.

When I was a small girl in the 1970's most of my friends had a parent or two who worked at Xerox. It was the place that generated most traffic and likely brought in the most tax revenue. My dad did not work for Xerox but my Aunt Margie did and she used to save the "test papers" which could only be run through a copy machine once back then. We had a great supply of drawing paper.

I looked up the company's history and was surprised to find very little mention of the campus in Webster which must cover several hundred acres. Whatever the reason, Xerox employees now days are much more worried about getting a pink slip than those of my childhood ever were. The company is on shut-down this week and it looked like a ghost town.

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

5 comments:

  1. Actually, I did Xerox a year and a half ago, so I don't think it's weird at all.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum was a secretary at ICI -when I was about 9 ICI invested heavily in office equipment - including photo-copiers and mum had to travel to Scotland for a training course. She brought me home a leather skirt so Xerox has a special place in mt memories.
    Thanks for this and for driving that bit further for the photo - so typical for ABC Wednesday.
    Denise
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Xerox used to be such a common word for copying. I don't even think the younger generation knows what it is or was. Great post for X.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this was a great idea for the letter X and nice to see a bit of your part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how all this new technology has almost changed the meaning of Xerox...that was the ONLY word that meant "COPY" when I was in the work force.


    Great job to go out in the snow to look for an X. You go girl!!!!

    Your right, that little x-ray fish of mine wouldn't make fish and chips.

    ReplyDelete