Tuesday, December 21, 2010

ABC Wednesday- Letter W

W is for Webster, Williamson, and Wegmans.

I grew up in the town of Webster, NY. Webster is located 10-20 minutes east of Rochester, NY along the southern shore of Lake Ontario. Signs welcoming visitors to town read "Welcome to Webster where life is worth living." (How's that for some W's?) . I checked Wikipedia and found some "notable" residents. I am not a TV watcher and have seen "Crossing Jordan" only a handful of times, so I had no idea one of the stars was from my hometown. I wouldn't know her in her role as DA Renee Walcott, nor could I pick Susan Gibney out of a crowd. I did however, at one point in time, know her younger brothers Pat and Tim. Lou Gramm, of Foreigner, lives in Webster, NY too though I have no clue where. (Okay, actually I do have a clue...) When my father was a boy, Webster was mostly farmland. My favorite childhood memories are of playing in a narrow strip of woods that ran between my parent's little neighborhood and what used to be the Junior High School. It was a great place to be a kid.

Now I live in Williamson, which is also along the southern shore of Lake Ontario, just a bit farther east. This little town, "The Core of Apple Country," remains mostly farm country; apple farms. Wikipedia doesn't list Williamson's notable people, but I happen to know that Diann Roffe, winner of a gold medal in skiing in the 1994 Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway is a former Williamson resident. (My son went to school with her brother.) I like it here. I like the apple orchards, the tractors rumbling down the roads, and the quiet country feeling. I also like that it is not too far away from Webster where I do most of my shopping.

And that brings me to Wegmans, which is my favorite place to grocery shop. They have everything I need and are much more pleasant than Walmart. Warm and welcoming, and what do you know? They even have a blog!

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

10 comments:

  1. Both my best friend in college and my wife were born in Webster! Though my wife didn't live there for that long, my friend attended HS there.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're located along the southern edge of Lake Ontario, you can't be too far away from Buffalo -- and all that snow! We used to live in Toronto and my sister lives there still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear Webster is lovely this time of year, so I am going to check it out:-) I am partial to all of these "W" words as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, we get our fair share of snow. Not quite as much as Buffalo, but we do pretty good.

    Heather, you will love Webster! It might even feel like home. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Webster was and is a wonderful place to wander while growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Webster is "where life is worth living". :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Martha,

    We are so honored to make the list on your ABC Wednesday post! Thanks for mentioning our blog too. : )

    Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!

    -Wegmans Fresh Stories Blog
    www.wegmans.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, that's pretty cool too!

    I'll be seeing you later today, Wegmans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Martha, I think you are right, and that is pretty cool that Wegmans' blog commented!!

    ReplyDelete