Wednesday, December 08, 2010

ABC Wednesday- Letter U

U is for Uncle. :)

I lay in bed last night trying to come up with a wonderful "U" word, but since I am mostly following a family theme, the best word I could come up with is "uncle." I do think uncle is a wonderful word. I counted and decided that my father had fifteen plus uncles. (Some of his aunts were married twice.) My mother (whose own mother was an only child) had five uncles. She has one uncle still living. He is 101 years old and lives in a nearby family owned nursing home. I had three uncles. One passed away when I was just a little girl, one I saw seldom, and the third is highly treasured. He is my mother's brother and was terribly sick earlier this year. He would have been a favorite uncle even if I'd had a dozen. Hooray for uncles!

And finally, "U" is for ukulele. This was most often referred to as a banjo-uke, a cross between the two instruments, I suppose. It belonged to my father and was given to him and my Uncle Art when they were teenagers. I don't know if my uncle ever learned to play it, but I know my dad had fun with it. I believe it was one of his prized possessions and that is why I love it too.

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely to have uncles - or to be an uncle :-)
    I like the ukelele - do you play it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, i don't play it. I wish I did though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncles can indeed be treasures. My three brothers became uncles to my children when they were still teenagers, but they relish their titles and have been very good to my children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncles and cousins...what a treasure we all have in those relationships.

    I visited my great Uncle Uyless in a nursing home every day, since it was 5 minutes from my work. I spent every lunch hour with him, and what a treasure of stories he shared with me...He passed away in his 90's.

    Love the first picture, Martha...So much love comes flowing from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 5 nieces, but no direct uncles.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete