Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Libraryin'

Hannah and I went out together this morning. She had an appointment with the doctor and I also had to stop by the vet's. We had some time afterward and decided to stop at the library here in town. As I wandered about, I noticed a few small waste baskets strategically positioned to catch drops of melting snow that dripped from the vaulted ceiling. This poor library has leaked since it's construction just a few years back... Anyway, I picked out some crafty type books while Hannah set out to find "Prince Caspian" by CS Lewis. The book was not to be found in Williamson but was available at the Ontario library just one town away. We still had time before Troy got out of preschool, so off we went to Ontario. I was a little confused at first as I couldn't seem to locate the children's section. A kind lady directed us around a corner behind the adult non-fiction section. As we rounded the corner I heard small voices coming from yet another room where another librarian must have been hosting Story Time. I was rather pleased with the selection of books on the shelves in the children's section. They appeared to have a complete set of Beverly Cleary's books, as well as many other old favorites. Williamson has "cleaned out" so many of their old books to make room for the new that I was getting a bit discouraged over there. Now that I know where to find them again, I think we'll visit Ontario more often.

9 comments:

  1. I love B. Cleary! Well, her books anyway. I just bought some kiddo books at Borders. Where the Side Walk Ends, by Shel Silverstein for David, and a Dick and Jane series for Em. Then I went the Goodwill Store to get more books. I love to go this one Goodwill Store for books. They have a great selection, they are clean, and so reasonable! I mean, .99 cents to 5.00 for books is a great price for me to give and give and give to the kids. Lots of Little Golden Books. I even found Leo the Lop there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Beverly's Emily looks quite a bit like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't B. Cleary the one who was from Portland and her stories are based on streets where she grew up in Portland?

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. what a great picture you have for your banner now, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Tracy, she is. And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ramona's the best! or maybe we'll call her Emily now. :)
    Jack Prelutsky is another poet who's good. Kind of along the lines of Silverstein.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Jack Prelutsky better than Silverstein. Beverly Cleary wrote only one book about Emily. Too bad because shew as almost as much fun as Ramona.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to both of those libraries today. Wouldn't you believe neither Williamson nor Ontario carry any books on the Trail of Tears or the Indian Relocation Act!!

    ReplyDelete