Friday, December 05, 2008

Being Elfish

Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
Philippians 2:3
The Christmas season has arrived. Now that the snow has melted and the sun is shining, it is kind of hard to imagine the snowy, white holiday is actually upon us. Of course, in some parts of the world Christmas is known for being warm and bright and maybe that is really the better way to think of it. Jesus, after all, came as a Light to a dark world. He came to give and He gave not only material goods and physical healing but also His very life. It is the gift of giving His life that makes all the difference because in this world there will always be hunger and sickness. There will always be hurting people and that is why His gift on the cross is so significant, it gives us hope beyond this world and a light into the next. I am wondering this Christmas what it is that Jesus would have me do, what He would have me give, in order to make a difference for Him. It is fairly easy for me to live a "Christian life" but rather hard to confront others with their need of salvation. I don't want to face a battle or deal with the ridicule that often comes along with sharing the message that none of us are good enough to inherit heaven without the sacrifice of Christ. I want to think that just being me is a good enough testimony but if others aren't told about the One who molds and shapes my life, then I am not really sharing the message they need to hear. So, this Christmas I pray that you will know the joy of God's forgiveness, that you would turn your life over to Him and join us on the journey.

1 comment:

  1. You be you, I'll be me and we will travel together filled with the grace of God.

    ReplyDelete