Friday, December 12, 2008

The George Eastman House

This morning we took a little field trip to Rochester and visited the George Eastman House. Just before Christmas they set up a gingerbread house display and we thought it might be fun to take a look. My sister, Rachel, came along. The mansion itself is gorgeous. It was the home of George Eastman, the founder of Eastman Kodak and the inventor of rolled film. I think it might be fun to just wander the halls and rooms of this estate, but today I was distracted by the Sweet Little Houses and the crowds of people filing through the manor. I especially liked the library and the grand staircase.
The gingerbread houses were fun. Some were done quite professionally and others were like a house you or I might make. I guess I had been expecting something a little more extraordinary for the price, but it was fun none the less. There were ordinary houses like Hansel and Gretel might have visited deep in the forest...
Churches with steeples...

Candy wonderlands...

and even the Sydney Opera House!

I am seriously considering cooking up a gingerbread house of my own! If you want to see more cool gingerbread houses check Rachel's blog.

6 comments:

  1. Oh thanks for taking me with you! What beautiful gingerbread houses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! How did you leave those books? I don't like gingerbread houses. I like gingerbread to EAT. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like fun! How long does it go for? The only other question is can I pack it into my week before we leave for MI next Monday? I doubt if you can answer that one :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherri, The display is up until Dec 17th. The gingerbread creations are scattered throughout the Eastman house so you are actually visiting that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful creations! And the George Eastman House is beautiful, too. I've been there a few times with visitors.

    ReplyDelete