Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmassy Stuff

I hate to admit it, but I do not feel very much in the Christmas spirit. I believe this is likely a common feeling for many adults. Maybe it is because I look back to my own childhood and want the same glee and anticipation we felt as tiny tots. Maybe it's because the pressure is now on my shoulders rather than Mom's and Dad's. It is now my job to make Christmas special and I feel more than slightly inadequate.

A week ago I looked at my posts from last year and found a note that said I needed to change my "be ready" date from Dec. 24th to Dec. 1st. Unfortunately, it was already past the date and I was nowhere near being ready. I'm still not but I'm trying. I decorated my little tree, hung a garland over the windows, and plan to bake up some more gingerbread cookies. I want to make some candy, wrap presents, and cut snowflakes to glue on the windows. We dug up the Christmas CD's and Burl Ives is singing "White Christmas" as I type. I bought some candy canes and there is plenty of hot cocoa in the cupboard. We've been to Tim's for a Christmas tea and attended the cantata at our old church this past Sunday. What am I missing? A trip to the mall? The Muppet Christmas Carol? Someone to get excited with me?

How do you like Rachel's Christmas door hanging? Giant pine cones from a far away Sequoia tree. I think it's one of the prettiest Christmas decorations I've ever seen.

Happy Birthday, Priscilla!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you, Marty. My wonderful mother in law made that for me.

    I'm struggling this year too. I am not ready, and every time I make Christmas cookies they disappear so fast that it's almost like I never even made them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO...watch the Grinch...sing Christmas songs with Alvin..."I still want a hula-hoop"...buy more tape...eat pie...hang stockings...forget the eggnog...bundle up warm and cozy...see friends and family...drink one too many glasses of wine...fill up on turkey...forget the name of the 6th reindeer...enjoy the smell of the holidays...get two days off of work...go to church...wake up at 4am Christmas morning...open gifts...enjoy time with family...I'm so excited!!!

    Not worry aunt martha, never feel like you're inadequate...it's not the gift we remember in the end anyways...it's the time we spent with family and all the wonderful memories we made along the way...

    Besides, you're middle name is AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had WAAAY too much on my mind lately, so it has been hard to remember that Christmas is upon us. I need to find some way to get excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, ya want to do one of my dinners? much easier than yours.
    Simple but elegant door ahh swag. Show your stuff.. your tree, your garland festooned windows! Shine YOUR light! ask for something just to see if anyone except God is listening. :) Hugs and more hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get in the mood this year and I think it's because I'm still out of work. The kids excitement is contagious.

    Happy Birthday Priscilla!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie, you do make me smile! I can forget the eggnog and The Grinch (the old one) is one of my favorites! I miss you all most at Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just need to pop some Elvis Christmas music in and "blam"! You will be in the Christmas mood. I promise. It works every time.

    I am just having a giddy time with Christmas this year. With having the wedding last year and all of the craziness of that, it is so enjoyable this year. (I think you may have remembered a Christmasy wedding a few years ago;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a lovely door decoration indeed!

    Now that I'm back home, I think I will get in the mood a little more. I've got the tree up, and tomorrow will decide which tea cups I will tie on. Will post the pictures soon.

    Baking will start tomorrow too. Banana Bread, Cinnamon loaves and my mother's famous English Toffee.

    Love and Hugs
    Wanda ~~ Thanks for visiting us in Vegas, I really appreciated your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss ya'll mostest!!! Keep your chin up auntie martha...maybe this Christmas will be the best one yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the Birthday greetings!

    Getting in the mood....it'll come...don't worry! Keep playing the carols and don't forget candles that smell like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete