Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Little Christmas Cheer

An interesting title seeing as I feel completely overwhelmed at the moment. Time is slipping by, the big day is fast approaching and I am helpless to slow it down. I thought my house was a disaster at Thanksgiving...

Today we made a batch of "Grandma Floy's English Toffee". I wish I could say I followed the directions to a T, but the sun isn't shining (at least it's not raining), I used Hershey's chocolate, and since walnuts seem to be scarce in these parts, we put chopped cashews on the outside. Tastes yummy and if it weren't for the fact that there are only a few days left 'til Christmas, I'd likely have to hide this too. I also made a batch of Russian Teacakes. These normally have walnuts inside, but we substituted pecans. I should be making more cookies or cleaning the house. Instead I am having my afternoon cup of coffee and visiting with my friends.
Troy was here this afternoon, but went home early with his dad. He won't be back until the end of January, so tomorrow I am going shopping and I don't have to be home until 4 o'clock! If I can figure out what I need to look for, maybe I can get something done... maybe.

10 comments:

  1. Grandma Floy's toffee sounds yummy! Tomorrow I will get in the "spirit" making cookies with Leeanne... Adam likes cut-outs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, and I do know what you mean "helpless to slow it down." I'm starting on my third batch of pecan tassies, second batch of fudge and just finished a double batch of Chex Mix. That was the last of my chopped nuts, so I quit! :) I want another cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! Can I have some? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I have some of your russian tea cakes? We ate all ours (3 x's). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious! Have you made pfeffernues yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No. but maybe that will still happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy. I'm really thinking that I will make some cookies today. Everyone's pictures look so good. I haven't had a russian tea cake in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I like the variation you did with the toffee. That sounds great. Are the white cookies covered with powder sugar called sandies? I finished up today with Peanut butter cookies with the Hershey Kiss on top. Took a plate to the neighbor hood families and now I'm ready for Southern CA!!
    Merry Christmas dear friend
    Love and Hugs
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, those are Russian Teacakes.

    ReplyDelete