Friday, November 16, 2007

Windy!

Last night I lay in bed and listened to the wind blow. The remaining leaves struggle to hang on but each day the trees appear more naked. The one exception, a red maple which finds shelter from the wind on the east side of the house. Soon its leaves will drop and snow will be gathered into its arms instead. A "blanket of snow"... brrrr!

Last night I dehydrated my first batch of apples. They turned out very nice and my family finds them yummy. I will need to find a good hiding place if I am to keep any through the winter months. No wonder squirrels hide their winter food supply! Not only do the dried apples make good snacks alone, but they will be perfect for adding to oatmeal cookies, coffee cakes and breads. The would be good in vanilla yogurt or on top of cereal. Yes, I need to find a hiding spot.

Aside from using up my apples, my mind has also been on Christmas and how and what to give for gifts. If only I didn't have so many other things to think about and could devote my days to creating wonderful things...

12 comments:

  1. Apple chips make good Christmas gifts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have and do creat wonderful things daily! Look at the smiles on others faces, you helped put them there.
    I love to listen to the wind and rain from my cozy bed at night. Makes me feel so secure lying next to my husband.
    I use to wrap fudge in freezer paper, I would mark it "liver", and stash it in the fridge, no one would touch that package.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are creating great things everyday! Look at all you have done with those apples!

    Love your idea, GMJ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dried apples sound yummy! You do seem to put smiles on faces easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you exactly dehydrate the apples?
    It sounds interesting. ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have my friend's dehydrator. It is a stack of ventilated trays with a cover holding a heated fan. I slice the apples, dip them in lemon and water, and arrange them on the trays. Then I set the temperature and let it run for about 9 hours. Very easy. Much easier than trying to make cider or applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see.
    Thanks! I have never heard of that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad the dehydrator is working out for you.
    gmj-wonderful idea! I may have to try a variation of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm you got that right nobody would touch it if it says liver on it

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds interesting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think anything homemade is appreciated as a Christmas gift! Do you need my address? Just kidding dear Martha...you are such a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wanda, I've got your number. :)

    ReplyDelete