Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Chip off the Old Apple

I am drying my fourth batch of apples and also simmering an umteenth batch of applesauce. The chips are great, I had some in my oatmeal this morning and James had some on his cereal. If I only had three or four dehydrators, I could dry all my apples and heat the house at the same time.

Thanksgiving is sneaking up on me. I thought I had another whole week to prepare myself but found out just the other day that I have less than a week. YIKES! I have the turkey in my freezer, a ten pound bag of taters in the cabinet, and the fixings for stuffing. I should feel ready but I still don't. When the day arrives everything will be in order and I will have a chance to sit down and enjoy the day. In the meantime I will probably stress out a little more each day until the house is clean and everything is in order. Once the stressing over Thanksgiving is done, I can start stressing over Christmas.

Right now it's time to brew a fresh pot of coffee and relax while the smell of cooking apples permeates my house. Maybe I'll chew on a few dried apple slices and do a crossword puzzle too.

12 comments:

  1. Hmm...I just might need to come over for a spot of tea and some apple chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, I am going to make applesauce for the first time. Do you have a recipe you like??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't follow a recipe. I just cut them up, add a little water so they don't burn, and cook them until they're tender. You can peel them ahead of time and leave it chunky or run them through a stainer after they're cooked. Add as much sugar as you like, usually not too much, and maybe some cinnamon. Voila! Applesauce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look good. Audra wants to try one.

    Heather...I don't use a recipe either. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMmmmm.. looks good. I can't believe how soon thanksgiving is coming up either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I told ya on the 5th to get going! Now you want to fuss? You already have the blinds cleaned, the turkey coralled, stuff for stuffing, taters, and gravy from the drippings. so? ya gota do a pie or two. No sweat, just clean behind the toilets and under the fridg. you do have time for a crossword puzzle or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just amazed at your skills!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgive me? I stole a picture from your blog and posted it on Still life...I just couldn't resist. Apples are so classicly still life subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Martha and Priscilla! I am going to try it out and let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have no need to be forgiven Gmj. I guess my house if full of still lifes. They are my art form. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like something right out of Martha Stewart's Living Magazine!!
    Wonderful pictues...I'll take a chip or two.

    ReplyDelete