Thursday, February 01, 2007

Getting a Haircut


I am going to get my haircut this afternoon. I think it has been six or seven months now since I went. My hair is getting long, scraggly and hard to comb so I think its time.
When I was a little girl my mom kept my hair cut very short, shorter than in the picture here. She called it a pixie cut and insisted on how cute it was. I thought she was trying to make me look like a boy and often threw a fit when it was time for a cut. I desperately wanted long beautiful hair. I dreamed of having it put up in ponytails and ribbons, of having it braided and curled, but it was not to be. As a child I didn't understand why Mom wouldn't let my hair grow even it it was "thin and fine". As I grew older my hair grew longer too but it didn't grow prettier until I had it cut in junior high. It really did look and behave better when it was cut short.

12 comments:

  1. My mom always insisted I have long hair - Tracy's she kept short! Funny how mom's can be. LOL. I did have it cut short a few times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that pixie cut myself as a child. You were an adorable little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there were a lot of us who had pixie cuts. Looks like mine is starting to grow here and I don't mind it so much. When the cut was new, I hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember you throwing a fit about it.

    As they say, "Mother knows best" (don't you wish that were always true?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really remember throwing a fit only once. I think that was my last pixie cut. Funny thing is I don't remember ever throwing a fit like that for anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well...I'm nott sure I meant a "fit" in the sense of throwing yourself on the floor kicking and screaming. I definitely remember you being very outspoken and upset about getting your haircut like that.

    I always thought you looked fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was definitely kicking and screaming. I don't know how old I was but I do recall that it was Mrs. Gorton who was doing the cutting. I did NOT want my hair cut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had my hair quite short during junior high and high school. I had a Dorothy Hamil, remember that? in 4th grade. Oh, there was another one that I had that was a celebrity thing... who was that singer - something and The Captain? Anyone remember?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Captain & Tennille. Yes, short haircuts were in for quite a while. I have had my hair short for most of my life and I like it that way too. I just didn't like it whe n I was little and looked like a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Speaking of looking like a boy... My best friend and I went to camp together one summer. We both had short haircuts. We were going to OUR cabin and one of the counselors yelled at us - "you boys get away from the girls' cabin!" We were MORTIFIED and didn't even know what to say. Finally, out came "but we're girls..."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember being called "young man" once in the grocery store. I was about 15 and I was thoroughly insulted. My mom said he was probably joking but I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete