Sunday, February 04, 2007

A Superbowl Day to Stay Inside

8°F Real Feel: -15°F (-26°C) 4:15 pm

The wind is blowing outside making an otherwise extremely cold day down right frigid. It's a good day to be on the inside looking out. A few years ago I read Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing and decided I shouldn't complain about the cold. Compared to these men who spent 18 months on the frozen antarctic sea even my coldest moments are warm. The story was an inspiration and makes me thankful every winter for a warm house and dry clothes.

So, it is Superbowl Sunday and the family will be watching the game tonight. I will most likely watch some too but I'm not much of a football fan. (The last time I got into watching football the Bears went to the Superbowl. Since then I have been distracted by 21 years of watching children grow up.) I don't mind football and I don't mind the family watching, I just don't follow the game very well. So maybe tonight I will work on something else and watch the game from a distance. I enjoy that and I enjoy seeing the family enjoy the game.

7 comments:

  1. You're NOT kidding it's frigid out there! Dave is outside at this moment, playing in the igloo with boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really cold here too. I think today's high was -2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only watch the half time show
    ;-))
    But I enjoy, too, being inside in our nice and warm and cozy home!!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And on the other side of the US, it was in the low 50s today, cloudy without wind:) Glad you are enjoying the day with family. They are an important of every sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denis and I watched a documentary about the Shackleton ordeal. I truly don't understand how they could have survived it. Why didn't they die of hypothermia. Especially since they were starving - you have to burn calories to stay warm. I like to hear or read survival stories. It's amazing what human beings are capable of when they have no other choice except to give up and die.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a PBS documentary that sparked my interest in Shackleton and the Endurance. Although the fingerprints of God are all over the story, He is barely mentioned. I oftened wondered, while readig the book, who was on their knees crying out to God for their loved one. Who was that beloved man and did he know the prayers lifted up to heaven onhis behalf?

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting. I like documentaries too. Football. I really couldn't care less. I spent a good share of it taking a nap. This was the first year in a long time that I did not watch one single bit of it. I spent some of that time gathered with other people who didn't care (4 out 5 of them were over 75 yrs old). I enjoyed their company.

    ReplyDelete