Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Mailbox


Going out to check the mail is not the coveted job in winter that it becomes nicer weather. The temperature has been creeping upward daily, but the windchill still makes it feel subzero. I much prefer waiting for someone else to retrieve the bills and junkmail rather than venture outside myself. Often a week-old Pennysaver is patiently wating in the tube out by the road, but as I have a tendancy to check the news online, the newspaper box remains perpetually empty and forlorn. The mailbox this year has thus far remained on it's perch. We have learned from previous winters that it must have the ability to spin on its post as snowplow blades otherwise have a tendency to toss it, not so gently, into the front yard. No longer unsuspecting, it now spins freely, hopefully keeping the contents inside rather than spewing magazines and envelopes out into the snow. These days the best kind of mail usually comes via the computer anyway, so I check the mail inside and send the kids out to get the bills.

6 comments:

  1. I run to the mailbox (for the diesel shop's mail) a couple of times a day because it doesn't come at the same time. In the summer it seems about seven or eight steps away, but in the winter it is about 200.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how increadabley funny to have your mail box tossed in your front yard... now I see why it is on a pipe, very creative! well okay not funny haha but funny..... no,yes funny haha. I guess we all have our burdens to bare.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the spinning mailbox... Dad is so creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I slipped my sneakers on and ran to the mailbox with no jacket on yesterday, only to find that when I got back in the house, it was all of our neighbors mail. (one piece was ours) It made me wonder who had all of ours. I put our neighbors mail back in our mailbox with the flag up so that the mailman would know he made a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea, spinning mail box. Vandals in the rural areas here would have a hard time knocking one of those over. Put wings on it like a bird, what a hoot that would be. I also prefer the mail via internet, then I don't have to read the stale stuff in the newspaper.

    ReplyDelete