Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Price is Right!

This evening I made a run to Webster to pick up a few items at the store. Before leaving I remembered to renew my library books online (getting sick of those little fines I'm always owing) as I haven't been able to run around during the day. Anyway, I stopped at Goodwill just to see if they might happen to have a booster seat for Troy (they didn't) and ended up buying some books for Hannah instead. I paid cash since it was just a small purchase. I had some money in my pocket. Next it was on to Walmart for a big box of tall kitchen garbage bags and some envelopes. I decided to use cash again and leave my checking account for the grocery store. I finally made it to the grocery store and wandered around carefully picking out several things to get me by until Saturday when I plan to do my regular shopping. I placed all my items on the belt and looked into my purse for my wallet. Not there. Oh oh! No wallet, no bank card, no Shopper's Club card, no license. I still had my checkbook but without any ID it was worthless. I stopped the cashier before she had rung anything up and checked to see how much money was still in my pocket (twenty dollars) then proceeded to pick and choose which items I should purchase. Ice cream (needed that for the elderberry pie at home), yogurt (for Troy), bananas, coffee and creamer (can't survive without that!) and one gallon of milk... (Can't remember if there was anything else)As I tried to decide what to purchase and then how much I had left to spend, I looked at the woman behind me in line and said, "I feel like I'm on a game show."

6 comments:

  1. How embarrassing, but it sounds like you handled it great, even joking with the woman behind you in line. That's very admirable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was all I could do. I felt so silly, but the woman behind me was very nice, as were the cashier and the manager. I assured them I would be back on Saturday to finish my shopping and the manager said he would be looking for me. You don't really think he'll remember me from now on, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elderberry pie? Why wasn't I invited?

    So what happened to your wallet? Did you leave it at home? Wanna go to the public market with me tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you left on a bit of a cliff-hanger you know. WHAT DID HAPPEN TO YOUR WALLET???? Was in in the car? At home? Did you lose it along the way? So many questions unanswered....

    ReplyDelete
  5. She left it at home. (I saw her this morning)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Priscilla! I never could stand it when things left me hanging... Like a book or a movie - did they get married? Did they have kids? How many??? And on and on my questions go!! So, it is a tremendous relief to know that Martha's wallet is safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete