Tuesday, September 12, 2006

An Afternoon Walk



Bethany came over yesterday afternoon and wanted to go for a walk in the orchard behind our house. It is a wonderful place to take a walk and we don't do it near often enough. The apples are ripening and the workers are getting ready to pick.

Another one of my reasons for loving fall is the activity in the orchards. We often hear the Mexicans calling back and forth to each other, singing songs, and listening to their Mexican music. It is a miniature picture of a culture unknown to me.

Anyway, we had a wonderful walk and Jasmine (our dog) decided to come along. She likes apples as well as she likes blueberries. Beth picked a few apples, MacIntosh I think, and we each had a snack. Jazz ate the cores and seemed satisfied with that. A little closer to the house we found some trees with 20 Ounce apples and took a few home to make a pie. Today is a little darker and more overcast so I'm glad we took our walk yesterday.

11 comments:

  1. Definently not Macintosh. Macintosh are soft and sweet. The one I ate was firm and crunchy with a hint of tartness. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really must learn my apple varieties. I know Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, and 20-Ounce and normally MacIntosh, but the others just confuse me. I guess as long as it tastes good, I'll just keep eating them and not worrying too much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should get some apples too so mom can make apple pie. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun way to spend the day. How big an orchard do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't actually own the orchard, we just happen to be surrounded by it. It is rather large and is both behind us and across the street so we have lots of space to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many miles of splendiforous walking space! I love orchards. (See my blog Mom for a funny story.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. But don't you own a couple of rows or something...thus being able to take apples for a pie?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Fox picks our Greenings and we are allowed to take a few apples for our own use. Therefore, I picked a few 20-Ouncers to make a pie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good girl! I knew you wouldn't steal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. send that pie over here... to OREGON. oh yummy,yummy.

    ReplyDelete