Saturday, September 16, 2006

An Apple A Day

The rain has finally slowed down (it isn't actually raining today and we've even seen the sun) but the clouds still look a little threatening. It must be a good day for picking apples because I watched a truck with some of those tall apple picking ladders in the back turn into the orchard lane across the street. (It's the foggy looking little road on yesterday's blog.) Now I can hear the beat of the bass in the music out there. It seems to be about the same in all the music and will go on and on for the next several days until I will feel as though I must escape. Today it doesn't bother me as I haven't heard it since last year. I can handle it fine the first few days but after that it gets a little nerve wracking.

Last evening I went back out to the orchard to see if I could get a few more 20-ounce apples and found that they had all been picked and hauled away. The guys must have done that in the rain and are probably thankful for the good weather today.

Once, not so long ago, this property was part of an apple farm. (That's our barn in the photo there) Now the apple orchards belong to another farmer and are picked by another race of workers. The little house where the workers lived is no longer inhabitable, but some of the old trees remain as a reminder of time past.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, no more free pies! I guess they weren't really free as you traded greenings for just a few other apples. But now you'll have to find 20 oz. at Brownell's or Lagoner's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you have any apple trees left? 20 oz. apples aren't the only apples that are good for baking. You guys have such beautiful property!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have Greenings that Mr. Fox picks. Any other apple tree on our property hasn't been sprayed so they don't turn out so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pics are lovely. we had some much needed rain today. it is so nice and cool here now. I just love it. Michelle-ozark Crafter

    ReplyDelete