Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Rain Keeps Up!

Well, I didn't see much rain today. The clouds rolled in but the rain never made it. It was good though because we took a ride out to the Everson's with James. Mr. Everson took us for a walk back in the woods and showed us different kinds of trees and how to tell them apart. He used bog words like "deciduous", "indigenous" and "conifer". We learned how to look at the bark and leaves to tell what kind of tree it might be. Kinda tricky, I think. I guess it takes some practice. We also went out deeper into the woods in the Jeep. There was a cute little log cabin back there which Mr. Everson built. I wish I could have one in my back yard. That's all we need, right, more buildings?

Well, it was a wonderful day and we took plenty of pictures. There were trilliums, pink and white, Mayapples, ferns, and lots of different trees, ash, elm, hemlock, and abunch of sugar maples. The Eversons make maple syrup and we bought some to take home with us. Mmmmm! I also learned that there are "Mother Trees". They have lots of kids just like me!

4 comments:

  1. Hey you copied me!I put a picture of a trillium on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a nice day. I worked and then got my tire fixed. I came home with a headache so I collapsed on the couch for a while. Dave ordered Chinese food for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a nice day. Interesting too. What is a mother tree?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mother tree is usually the biggest, oldest tree of it's kind in a particular area. Around it are the young trees, the offspring of the mother tree.

    ReplyDelete