Friday, April 05, 2013

Revamping My Gnome Home

The dirt was dry and clumped together. Half the plants had died. Spider-webby things hung on the house and remaining plants. When I tried to water the small garden, the water ran down through the cracks and out onto the floor. I decided to take my little garden apart and start over. Sometimes you've got to do that, start over.

After digging up three jade plants and removing all the paraphernalia, I filled two  big bowls with the dirt and poured in a whole bunch of water. The soil was dry and thirsty.I stirred it up with a big spoon until it was suitable for planting in again.

This time I lined my little drawer box with a sheet of aluminum foil and embedded five yogurt cups of moist soil in the other dirt. These are my watering spots. Now I don't have to keep the entire box moist and watered, just the yogurt containers where I planted my marigold seeds. If they get too big and unruly, I can always remove them and find them a home in my outside flower gardens. Now I'm just waiting for them to grow.

2 comments:

  1. A nice little redo! I think that idea is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it turns out nice when the flowers grow. It's been looking rather sad since several of the succulents I had in there decided to give up and die. But a fresh start is always fun.

      Delete