Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Going for a Walk

As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him,
Colossians 2:6 

 A recent Bible study on walking got me to thinking. Not only have I been thinking about my walk with God, but I have had physical walking on my mind too. In some ways the two kinds of walking can go hand in hand.

For many years I have come up with some pretty good excuses not to do much walking; home schooling, babies/small children, bad weather, ailing mother... Unfortunately, the effect of sitting on my one's butt too much makes itself known, usually in decreased energy levels and larger pant sizes. It's too late to lose that 20 pounds (or so) I'd hoped to shed before my son's wedding, but it's not too late to start doing something about my health.

I've really no excuse for not walking. With a treadmill in the corner of my living room, I can walk at any time of day and in any weather. The other night I went for a 2 1/2 mile walk in spite of it being dark out. It was cold and rainy too, but I stayed warm and dry. Walking takes only a strong will and determination. It also helps to distract myself with a good television show like reruns of The Amazing Race.

I've been walking at least 2 miles for the past six nights. My legs get tired and my feet hurt, but I'm hoping that by the time nice weather arrives, I will have at least built up a little bit of endurance for some great hiking. It would also be great if Icould fit into some of those jeans I have packed away in my closet.


No comments:

Post a Comment