Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Haircut

I grew up in the age of the "Pixie Cut". Every little girl had one, except the lucky ones, like my sisters. I hated my pixie cut. I thought it made me look like a boy and I desperately wanted to have long feminine hair. I wanted curls and ribbons, ponytails and braids, and I cried whenever it came time for the dreaded haircut.

For most of my early years I had short hair. Even as a teen my mom insisted my hair looked much better short. My early married years were filled with babies, toddlers, and small children, and since I didn't know how to take care of long hair, I continued to keep it short. It was easy to wash, easy to comb, and easy to style. It didn't blow into my food at windy picnics, it didn't get closed in car door or rolled up in windows, and I didn't find it wrapped around dishcloths as I washed plates in the the sink, but when my youngest daughter turned four all that began to change.

For the past fourteen years I have had longish and long hair. I've been tempted to cut it all off and been encouraged by others to keep it long. Years back I had a favorite hairdresser, but when Rhonda cut back her working hours I began to search for haircuts elsewhere. Four years ago I had a bad, bad haircut and ever since I have been terrified of having my hair styled. I've had it trimmed here and there, but each time with fear and trepidation. Well, tomorrow I am headed out for a haircut again. I'm a little apprehensive, but I know it needs to be done.

Wouldn't you know, my mother, the one who always had my hair chopped off short, short, said to me this morning, "I wouldn't let them take too much off." Sometimes I really wonder who this woman is!

9 comments:

  1. Your hair is beautiful!!!
    Please let us know...and see...what the outcome is!!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. This, of course, was freshly washed and dried. Look! No tangles!!! I'm not sure if I'm actually seeing gray in there or if it's the way the light is hitting it...

      I will post a new picture after the cut.

      Delete
  2. Didn't she always say she kept it short because it was thin and she was hoping it would help it to thicken up? Anyway, it looks great long now. Obviously she thinks so too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was "thin and fine" but that's not really why it was all chopped off. Check out pictures of other little girls int he 1960's. They all looked like boys! (Well, most of them.) It was just the thing to do.

      Delete
  3. ditto, ditto....hahaha...always had a pixie when my sister had loooong lovely hair...and then in later years my mother didn't want me to cut it! hahaha...

    You do have lovely hair. Every time I cut mine short, I'm bored with it. And like you, I feel like a boy. I have to be able to put it in a pony tail on hot days. However, a trim does make it fresh and healthy!

    I hope you like your trim...at least the shampoo always feels wonderful! :) We'll want to see 'after' photos, you know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there are other who can sympathize with the old pixie cuts. One of the mom's I babysit for says she and her sister would cry when it was time for a haircut. My guess is there were a lot of unhappy little girls back then.

      I will at least be getting my split ends taken off and maybe a little bit of layering done. We'll see what Amanda suggests.

      Delete
  4. Don't go short at first - just a few inches. As you get braver you can get a bit more cut off. Unless you have a really good hairdresser don't go short. I had mine done recently while I was in the US for some of the winter and truly - I could have done it better myself with a knife and fork! I have just returned from visiting my own stylist and it just looks so much better. Nothing worse that an uneven hair cut! My hair is very short, so one would think it would be easy to cut and style. Not so!

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hair changes over the years. Your's has and so has mine. Your hair looks nicer longer than it would have when you were younger. I'm having a hair crisis lately too. I just don't know what to do with it. Should I cut it?

    ReplyDelete