Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

Well, this is it. Here she comes, Hurricane Sandy. I have lit a fire in the wood stove and cooked up a nice pot of potato soup. The generator is ready in case the power goes out. If not for Grandma and her oxygen requirements we wouldn't even have the option.

It's wet and blustery out there. The lake is churning, stirring up some nice waves. So, I took a ride and snapped a few pictures. Just a few, and then I went back home

Major storms always arrive with a bit of excited anticipation, but they leave behind wreckage and heartbreak. My prayers are with the two missing crew members of the HMS Bounty which sank off the coast of North Carolina today and their families. I've fallen in love with tall ships the in the past few years so I find this very sad.

Now we're waiting for James to get home and then we'll hunker down for the evening and listen to the wind howl. Maybe we'll watch a movie, ...if the power holds out.

6 comments:

  1. Keeping all you east coast people in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joeks. The wind is really kicking up and we're nowhere near the worst of it.

      Delete
  2. I think Mom was delighted to hear that we weren't going to see Tim today, not that she doesn't want to see him, but she was tired and just wanted to be home after running around so much. I forgot to tell you, they wouldn't let me wheel her up to Dr Chow's in a wheelchair, a volunteer staff person wheeled her up instead and then said she couldn't leave the wheelchair. She told us to call for it when Mom was done, but when we did we were told there would be at least a 20 minute wait. She didn't want to wait an neither did I, so we turned up her Oxygen and she walked all the way to the car, which was parked on the roof because the garage was so full. Friday will be a much better day to see Tim! The wind is howling off and on as I type, but it's supposed to get bad between 10pm and midnight. No school for the kids, but so far Dave and I have to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were right. She didn't want much to eat, just soup, no peanut butter crackers. But, she did accept a piece of pie a little bit ago.

      Delete
  3. Piece of pie always works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holding all you dear ones on the East Coast in our thoughts and prayers.

    BTW Love your new winter wall paper.

    ReplyDelete