Monday, October 08, 2012

Autumn Falls

We have suddenly gone from summer to autumn. Hannah and I went out for a ride today with no particular destination. We took the camera, a few granola bars and some apples, stopped for a drink along the way, and took in the fall foliage as we went.

Most people think "city" when they hear NY, but there is far more country side to the state than city. We passed farm after dilapidated farm up in the hills between Canandaigua and Keuka lake, and lots of fields and forests.

On the way home we passed Monica's Pies and stopped to run inside the store. The air was permeated with the smell of grape pies baking. Mmm, mmm! I bought a jar of grape pie filling (for probably more than a pie would have cost...) and a Concord grape tart for Hannah and I to share. They packed our purchase in a pretty purple bag and gave us two purple napkins and a couple of forks to eat our tart with.  I now remember why I liked grape pie so much. It was wonderful!

Tomorrow we will be back to "real life" again. My van is in the shop having the tires changed so we'll be staying home. Maybe I'll bake another apple pie.


10 comments:

  1. Just beautiful, we don't have that yet...but I'll be glad when we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Such beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. Every autumn I can't help but think what an incredible painter God is.

      Delete
  3. WOW. Your drive took you quite a way! (To Monica's!)
    Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our drive took us way farther than Monica's, Stacy. I got "lost" just south of Prattsburg and we ended up all the way down by Rt. 17. I told Hannah this is NOT where I wanted to be. Thankfully, we were not far from 390 and headed back north toward Naples through Cohoctan.

      Delete
  4. Fall colours are so beautiful, but following fall comes WINTER! Today we had our first snow and I am unimpressed to put it mildly......but then why would I be supprised? I live in Alberta where it has been known to snow every month of the year!!!!!!!!! One has to have a sense of humour of sorts to live here I can tell you.

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marilyn, a sense of humor and a good old fashioned wood stove. :)

      I am loving fall and trying not to think about what comes next.

      Delete
  5. Oh - I forgot to say I have never tasted grape pie..........I have never seen one either :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most grape pies are not too impressive. I don't know what Monica's secret is, but she sure has some yummy pies!

      Delete