Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Clearer Glimpse

I am getting a clearer (if that is possible...) picture of my mother's thought processes, and much of the road to understanding is dependent on how I answer her statements and/or questions. I hope I am ready and willing to learn.

The other day when Mom asked how I knew a longtime family friend, my sister made a suggestion. "Maybe she asked how you knew her because she herself was drawing a blank about who this person is. Maybe she asked you to possibly jog her memory so she could remember." I have been rolling this possibility around in my mind, and when a similar question was posed last night, I found myself responding differently.

I had spent some time last evening chatting online with a friend who found himself on business flight to Dallas. Although we don't see each other often, we have been friends for many years. I was working a jigsaw puzzle with Mom when I said to James, "Jon P---- is on his way to Dallas for a week."

"Jon P----?" said Mom, "How do you know him?"

A little better prepared this time than last, I looked directly at her and said, "Oh, I've known him for a long time." I then added, "Do you know who he is?"

She didn't flinch. "Yes, I know who he is," she stated, "He's the one who used to like Mart." (Um... that would be me...)

This time I was speechless, not because she knew who he was, but because I found myself suddenly wondering who she thought I was. Yes, Jon and I had dated in high school, she was right about that, but this was the first time I had to come face to face with the fact that maybe my mother wasn't always recognizing me.

James called to me from the other room. "What did she just say?" he asked.

And I just said, "I'll talk to you later, James."

So, today I am rolling a new thought about. Apparently Mom does not always know who we are. As tough to accept as it may be on one hand, it is helpful on another. Perhaps I am almost relieved at the answer. At least I know why she is introducing family members to each other and asking how we know longtime friends. Maybe there is even a sense of relief.

18 comments:

  1. Interesting, could it be? Wow, this blows my mind, but why would she have answered like that? I don't even really know what to say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are on to something for sure. You are relieved and I find myself not so much relieved, but a little sad and a bit teary at the thought that there are moments when our mom doesn't know who we are. I'm glad that her memory of us comes back rather quickly, for now at least.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps, for just a moment, when she asked what she was doing at your house, she wasn't quite sure where she was.

      Delete
    3. I thought about that too. :\

      Delete
  2. I volunteer with the elderly and some have memory loss - and worse - and I always just have to say to myself "She/he is doing the best she/he can". If you always keep that in mind it may be easier for you because your Mum is doing the best she can at that given moment.

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where's the like button for this?

      Delete
    2. I have heard professionals say that, Marilyn, but the day to day dealing sometimes catches me off guard. Knowing there are times when she isn't sure who I am, actually brings me a sense of relief because it explains some behaviors that leave me confused and frustrated.

      Delete
  3. I think what Marilyn is saying is an excellent thing to keep in mind. I am subbing a half day on Friday and I hope to come visit you.

    I'm also glad to have been of some help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to your visit, Priscilla. I miss you.

      Delete
    2. I'd like to visit too, but I have to work on Friday. Priscilla, I still have you Jelly Bellies.

      Delete
  4. and knowing that someday my kids will be looking at me wondering the same things. Jeepers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe it must be very hard to be the total caregiver as well as daughter. You are doing the best you can also and no one can ask for more than that.We all get old and my wish is that my family will be loving and kind if I become confused and forgetful (sometimes I feel that way already!)

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marilyn. I think we all hope to be well loved and cared for, and we're all a bit forgetful at times. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow - that is an interesting perspective - that she's maybe asking you questions to remind her of her relationship with you.
    Maybe in her mind's eye, Martha is still a little 8 year old with barefeet and hair in her eyes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When she asks the question, it's as if she has no clue as to why I would even know these people to start with, almost like I'm a stranger. But, I'm not a stranger all of the time, and therein lies the challenge.

      How did you know I was barefoot with hair in my eyes?

      Delete
  7. Trying times, for sure Martha...
    Keep the faith...

    ReplyDelete