Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pies in the Mail

I baked pies in jelly jars. I packed them into a box. It was a cardboard fruit basket with the dividers from my jam jar package tucked inside. I made the jam jar box into a lid by taking it apart, cutting it down, and putting it back together inside out. Then I put Jim's address on the lid, taped it up, took it to the post office, and mailed it off to Minneapolis. It arrived today, just in time for Jim's birthday.

I had a tough time getting my pie crust to behave on my first try. The shortening had gotten "old" due to our extended summer time heat wave. I bought a new can and tried again. Still not working... I decided maybe the flour was "old" too, but had run out of time and patience on Tuesday. I decided to forget it for the night and try again on Wednesday. With a new can of shortening, a fresh bag of flour, and some encouragement from Bethany, I managed success.

I don't know why somebody in Minneapolis doesn't open a pie shop. None of the bakeries I've seen online offer pies. So sad.

7 comments:

  1. What an absolutely great idea. I will try that!!! So cute for personal Christmas gifts...

    Do you just use regular pie filling, like apple, peach??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that the small side of my old Tupperware biscuit cutter made a circle that fits the bottom of the jar perfectly. After rolling the crust flat I use a pizza cutter to cut strips the height of the jar and seal the ends together with a bit of water. I used regular apple pie filling in these, and topped them off with a slightly larger circle of dough. (I have a metal biscuit cutter that work perfect for that.) If you put the covers on right away, the jars should seal for shipping. A little bit of home in a jar. Next time I'll try pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe we should move to MN and open our pie shoppe there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the cutest things ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea! Did you come up with it on your own? Thanks for explaining a bit more about it in your comments. I had been wondering if there was more crust than just what we saw on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen them online and thought I'd give it a try.

    ReplyDelete