Friday, September 02, 2011

Fair is Fair

I planned to be at the State Fair early but, due to extenuating circumstances, we arrived closer to noon. Once at the Fairgrounds, I let Ben and Hannah wander off on their own and I meandered about by myself. It sounds lonelier than it really was. Quite honestly, I didn't mind at all.

I stopped in Building 8 to check out the Arts and Crafts displays where James' friend Jose had a few award winning pieces. His rocking chair garnered a lot of attention and with reason. It is a beautiful piece and looks very comfortable. It won a third place ribbon. I really wanted to try it out, but that was not allowed. Maybe another time...

Upstairs in the same building I found the player piano and sat down to watch and listen. It is quite possible that this is the real reason I like going to the Fair. The giant music box is my favorite. I told Hannah I'd much rather have one of these than a treadmill, but then again I suppose the novelty might wear off over time, unless of course I had a hefty collection of rolls. During a quiet spell I chose a song to play, The Candy Man. It was sweet.

I wandered in and out of buildings looking at displays, taking in the sights, and dodging purses, backpacks, and scooters. I bought a cup of chocolate milk for a quarter, found the butter sculpture, and checked out the cow barn. Back in the horticultural building I got in line for a baked potato. Probably the best dollar I spent, aside from the black raspberry/vanilla twist ice cream later on.

Later in the afternoon Hannah and I made a return trip to the player piano. Hannah chose "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head." While she played an elderly woman arrived in a wheelchair and stopped next to my seat. She leaned over and said, "St Louis Blues." When Hannah was finished playing, this woman was helped to the piano bench by her granddaughter. Soon she was playing the St. Louis Blues but not with the help of a roll. She played the song herself, from memory. (Her granddaughter told us we could find her on Youtube where I learned she is 100 years old!)

It was another good day. I missed my friend Della who couldn't make it to the fair today, but I'm going to find her another time. I heard my friend Vinnie was there today, but I didn't happen to see him either.

8 comments:

  1. Our Kansas State Fair starts next Friday, but I'm not sure yet if we'll be going this year. There's always something interesting to see, isn't there? Sounds like you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous tour of the State Fair.... just loved that rocking chair...hope to get to rock in it sometime.

    And that little lady playing the St. Louis Blues...What a delight! I love when old people forget they are old!!! I want to be like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that sounds like a really fun day. The rocker is beautiful...love the curves he put into it.

    potatoes and icecream...two of my very favorite foods! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew she was old, Wanda, but I didn't expect to find out she was 100. She was a delight. She told me how she had wanted a player piano as a child but her father said no. He told her she would never learn to play if she had one of those. I think I could have sat and talked with her for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy, I love rocking chairs anyway. They always bring back good memories.. aside from those of rocking back too far and tipping over. :)

    I'll let you all know how it is when I try it out. James says it's very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We thought about going today, but did not make the trip. The rocking chair is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad that piano is out of tune. That was wonderful though! Next year I'm going to the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just watched all of her videos! She is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete