Saturday, September 24, 2011

Baby Turns Thirty

It's something "old" people say, "Where did the time go?" but I find myself asking just that question. Somehow the years have slipped away, and the first tiny baby we brought home from the hospital, the one who changed our names to Mom and Dad, is turning 30...

Dear Jim,

I had a tough time making pie crust this week. I guess that long heat wave this summer wasn't good for either my shortening or flour, and I had to replace both those ingredients before I could work with the pastry. I'm still holding out hope that the pies will arrive at your house tomorrow. I think they turned out better this year than last. I hope you have some ice cream on hand, and maybe a candle or two or three.

I've never been good at birthday parties. I somehow always manage to wait too long to pull  them off in style, but each birthday brings with it a special longing for the child whose day it is, and a pile of memories to take me back in time. So, even though you are far away for this milestone birthday, you are in my thoughts today.

Happy Birthday, Jim!
I love you.

Love, Mom

PS. I don't have any new photos of you with Dad and me, so here you are with Grandmanita. She's better looking than me anyway. :)

1 comment:

  1. How very special Martha...that top picture is so priceless...so sweet, so "young".

    We're celebrating our granddaughter Amanda's 18th BD tonight!!!

    They do grow up, don't they???

    ReplyDelete