Thursday, April 21, 2011

Small Treasures

But the boat was now in the middle of the sea, tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary.
Matt 14:24

It may not look like much, but yesterday I found a small treasure forgotten in a drawer. At first I thought it was just a broken piece of wood, but once in my hand, it magically transformed. I held the little boat in my hand and peered into the back of the drawer. Was there also a mast for the tiny vessel?

I am finding that it is really the little things that make me stop to think. The bigger pieces, like furniture, do not hold the same place in my heart that this small carving does. Held in the palm of Dad's hand, carved because he loved both wood and ships. What looks worthless to some is priceless to me. I'm not quite sure what I will do with this tiny treasure. For now it is resting on a shelf in my living room, kind of like it once rested on the mantle behind Dad's wood burning stove.

4 comments:

  1. Do you remember that there is another piece of it that is missing? I remember him carving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there was a piece running perpendicular. I forgot about that, or maybe it was a different one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome find! What a wonderful memory.

    Thank you for the comment the other day about the exploding dresser. Gave me a chuckle that day which I sorely needed. And don't even get me started on beds and sheets. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the best treasures are found in the back of drawers, forgotten for a while, and then burst in with new feeling and old memories.

    What a sweet little boat.

    ReplyDelete