Monday, April 04, 2011

Muddy Boots

In the dirt, in the messes of life, there is cause to stop and thank God; toys scattered across the rug, crumbs on the floor, puddles in the driveway, and muddy boots. God sent the rain last night and Andrew wore his rain boots this morning. What fun are rubber boots without puddles? And where would be the puddles without the rain?

Yesterday was not one of my better days. I let anger and frustration get the better of me when I know deep inside there is a better way. In my distress I did not call out to the Lord, instead I let my emotions blind me to His grace and the gifts He gives.

I went upstairs to bed early, took my Bible, my gratitude journal, and my book. I crawled between the covers well before my children returned home from the evening church service. It was quiet and as I read the book, the Lord spoke to my heart.

"In this wilderness, I keep circling back to this: I am blind to joy's well every time I really don't want it. The well is always there. I choose not to see it. Don't I really want joy? Don't I really want the fullest life? For all my yearning for joy, longing for joy, begging for joy- is the bald truth that I prefer the empty dark. " (p. 130 One Thousand Gifts)

"You have to want to see the well before you can drink from it." (p. 131)

I thought I was behind in my reading, but according to God's schedule I was right where He wanted me to be. He knew and He had words to speak to my heart. He puts the puddles in my life, the obstacles, the hard eucharisteo. I am to trust that He knows, that there is a well of grace nearby, and I am to give thanks.

395. Mud puddles
396. Rubber boots
397. Little boys

The Holy Experience

2 comments:

  1. I loved that chapter, so very true. If only we always looked for the well, life would be so much easier.

    I like Andrew's "scary spider boots". Thats what Josh called them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. We have to be looking for it. I pray today is a better day for you, my friend Martha.

    ReplyDelete