Friday, November 26, 2010

Turkey Soup

It was a different kind of Thanksgiving. My sisters were both with in-laws this November, and I think I missed my dad even more this year than last. We had a much smaller gathering, though I wouldn't say it was necessarily "quiet." I have decided that my father's was a calming presence and this is what was missing. A sense of calm will be something to pray and strive for come Christmas. All our local children made an appearance this year and our own family grows by one or two each year. This year we added Simon and Nathan's fiance, Sabrina.

Thanksgiving Soup was on the menu tonight. I have come to love my crock pot for making turkey soup and the carcass goes into it as soon as we have picked the bigger pieces of meat off the bones. Today I threw in some leftover mashed potatoes and green bean casserole, along with some baby carrots. It made a yummy supper tonight and will make a nice lunch tomorrow as well.

I am also proud to announce that even my sons are able to make wonderfully delicious pumpkin pies. Jim tried his hand at a Thanksgiving dessert this year. I guess he was watching me in the kitchen too. His friend's mother left this note on his Facebook page today, "Jim Teal makes the BEST Pumpkin Pie EVER! Glad you could come Jim!" along with this note to me, "You should be proud Martha! It came out Fantastic! I just finished the piece I hid last night! ;-)"
You have to know that made me smile.

4 comments:

  1. I feel bad that we were both gone from your Thanksgiving day this year, but didn't that make it a little more calm for you? Sorry you were missing Dad even more than last year. :( I certainly have my moments, but this year I was okay on Thanksgiving. You will probably have a huge Christmas bunch...not sure if we'll fit with your ever growing family, but we'll talk about that and figure something out, even if we need to hang out on a different day instead.
    Jim's pie looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You love your Turkey Soup, and we love leftover turkey in a pot pie. I will do that tomorrow.

    Today I had a plate of leftovers just like yesterday, and it was just as good!

    The last piece of Pecan pie is gone!! Yum..

    Your turkey and the pumpkin pie look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Jim can make pumpkin pie.

    Sorry about all the "extra" noise. Someday we will have successfully taught him how to be quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soup is the perfect way to use up a carcass. I am making mine today. I can't wait for dinner!

    ReplyDelete