Tuesday, November 16, 2010

ABC Wednesday- Letter R

R is for rest and relaxation (and also for rocking chair)

I love rocking chairs. Maybe it is because my parents always had several. In the evenings, after the dishes were done and we children had been tucked into bed, Mom and Dad sat in their rocking chairs and talked quietly. We couldn't always hear exactly what they were saying, but the sound of their voices was comforting just the same. There was nothing nicer than to crawl up into the lap of a loving parent, rest of their chest, and sip the last drops from their coffee cup.

As a child I would climb into a big rocking chair, start to rock back and forth, and inevitably find myself at the tipping point. I would make a mad grab for the front of the seat in an effort to keep the whole thing from toppling over backward. Sometimes I was successful.

Now I have a home pretty much void of rocking chairs. The two I had inside are broken, and the one I keep on my back porch doesn't rock smooth and nice. What I do have is a child-size wicker rocker that I picked up at a sale this summer. It is a wonderful place to rest and relax if only one's backside will fit into the seat.

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

8 comments:

  1. i would love a rocker; we have a glider, which we used for getting the baby - now 6.5! - asleep.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now, reading this makes me want a rocker. Lovely picture. A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rockers are wonderful and relaxing, you are right! Unfortunately I still have a scar right at my hairline where my two year old head collided with the pointed end of a "rocker."
    HelenMac, ABC team

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love rocking chairs too. That's an adorable shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love rocking chairs... we have Don's mother's Boston Rocker...

    The picture is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I resonated with your comment about hearing your parents talking quietly together after the kids were in bed. I remember straining to hear what my parents were saying. Quite a trip down memory lane :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two in my room, it's very nice for a little chat with a friend !

    ReplyDelete
  8. rocking chairs are cool,
    so do your r post and you.
    cute image.
    keep rocking.

    ReplyDelete